We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York, New York - pls help with itinery!!

London
Level Contributor
111 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
New York, New York - pls help with itinery!!

Hi all

Finally booked our flights to New York!!! We are not going till Aug next year but something to look forward to.

I don't want to make a definite plan but I just wanted to get an idea from you experts.

We are flying into JFK at the end of Aug for two weeks. We want to travel around east coast (we've done west coast already). There will be two adults with a 4 year old in tow this time round. We were thinking of staying the first three days in NY and last three.

We were thinking of visiting Philadelphia, Boston, Washington, Niagra and prob go to Toronto if not far away.

Can you please suggest how long should we stay in each state? We were thinking of taking the train instead of driving?

Any suggestions / itinery would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,384 posts
803 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York, New York - pls help with itinery!!

I recommend you ask this question on the Road Trips forum instead of the NYC forum.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York, New York - pls help with itinery!!

Just to say, we went to Washington, D.C. for the day and loved it. I wasn't keen as its 3.5 hours from Penn Station and the same on the way back, but my mum wanted to do it and I am soooooo glad we did :)

Have fun!

Monkey6870

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York, New York - pls help with itinery!!

From NYC take the train to Philly and then on to Washington, DC. From DC fly to Buffalo. Rent a car for this portion of the trip. Drive from Buffalo to Niagara Falls and then drive on to Toronto. From Toronto fly to Boston, from Boston take the train back to NYC.

(If you can change your flights to return to the UK from Boston rather than NYC, it would save you the time and the $$ of taking the train back to NYC from Boston. Even if there is a modest change fee, I think it would be worth it).

Do you have 14 nights? I'd say 6 in NYC, 1 in Philly, 2 in DC, 1 at the Falls, 2 in Toronto, and 2 in Boston.

Have fun planning!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York, New York - pls help with itinery!!

For flights, look on Kayak and choose the "multi-city" option, flying from DC to Buffalo and then Toronto to Boston:

http://www.kayak.com/flights

Finchley
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York, New York - pls help with itinery!!

hi your trip sounds amazing, we too are looking to doing something similar, maybe knock out toronto. We would like to maybe fly some parts and drive around some bits too.

Maybe fly from DC to Buffalo and the carry on driving to Boston and drive back to NYC.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York, New York - pls help with itinery!!

Quadbandits, I would suggest also flying from BUF to BOS, spending time in the city without a car, then renting a car to explore New England if that's what you want to do. Return the car to Boston, then take the train to NYC.

One-way car rentals can be quite expensive, and the drive from Buffalo to Boston is VERY long. You don't need or want a car while in Boston itself and it is costly to park it.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
5,840 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York, New York - pls help with itinery!!

In offering these views, I mean no disrespect to any city by suggesting other cities or by the time allocation. It is an alternative view, and you can't do everything..

Overall, I think you are planning to do a bit too much and are devoting a bit too much to the travel component between cities. The train is excellent, but starting in DC, a flight from Boston (or Martha's Vineyard or Toronto) to DC will save 1 day and your nerves. I suggest you consider not including Buffalo on this trip.

f think a trip beyond NYC-BOS-DC-PHILA-NYC is too much. However, if you want another place, I am suggesting Days 6 and 7 be devoted to either Toronto or Martha's Vineyard.(But if so, you will be moving around a lot).

DC and Martha's Vineyard could each be a "mecca"--for you and your little one.

1 NYC

2 NYC

3 .NYC

4 Train to BOS

5 BOS (fly end of day to Martha's Vineyard or Toronto

6 + 7 MID-VACATION BREAK:

Fly to Martha's Vineyard (Island; seashore; lovely, glimpse of New England) or Toronto

8 FLY to DC

9 DC

10 DC

11 DC to Phila by train

12 Phila. afternoon-evening to

13TO NYC

14 NYC

15 Home

If you feel the schedule is too tight, drop Martha's Vineryard and re-allocate at least 1 more day to DC If you don't like Martha's Vineyard, you could devote 2 days in Toronto..

If you don't do Toronto or Martha's Vineyard, you could add an extra day to DC and shorten the trip by 1 day to 14 days.'

After you finalize the structure of your trip, please send us your draft itinerary if you wish. (You may find that you would like to move things around based on the particulars of each city. For example: if you decide you would like to go to the beach in NYC, that might or might not add one day.

It sounds like a great trip.

8. Re: New York, New York - pls help with itinery!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 05, 2015