We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Draft itinerary 5ish Days with kids

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Draft itinerary 5ish Days with kids

Hi,

I’m planning to visit September 2014 myself and kids who’ll be, 16 girl , 13 girl , and 11 boy. I’m trying to work out how many days to spend in New York to get a good taste and not spend an absolute fortune.(I know it's a dirty word but Budget is important) After lots of research on this forum….I’m an addict…This is the plan so far. Could you please help with organisation and proximity of sites and suggestions of what I could add.

Monday

Statue of Liberty Crown Climb

Walk through Wall Street to

9/11 Memorial

St. Paul's Chapel

Century 21

Subway to Brooklyn

Have pizza at Grimaldi’s

Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge back

Tuesday

Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum

Mon – Friday 1000 – 500

?? What to do here???? Suggestions please

Manhattan Night Tour 8pm – 10pm(Tues& Thurs)

Wednesday

Take the cable car over to Roosevelt Island

Serendipity 3 for a frozen hot chocolate

Toys r Us

FAO Scwarz

5th avenue

Central Park Sunset Tour Free walking tour (Mon&Wed)

16:30 – 18:30

Thursday

Bargain Shopping and Souvenirs

??? What else to do here????? Suggestions please

Broadway Show

Friday

12 30 - 2pm The Grand Central Partnership Free Walking tour of the Grand Central neighbourhood

MOMA (free admission on Fridays after 4pm).

I would like to do the Empire State Building around sunset one evening not sure where?

Thanks for you help

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Draft itinerary 5ish Days with kids

I personally think it's a bit too early to make a definite itinerary yet. It will continue to evolve especially if you are an addict to the forums ;-)

But some suggestions, Tuesday after Intrepid head to Hells Kitchen for lunch, it's not far from Intrepid and lots of casual and cheap food there, then you might as well go to Times Square because it's pretty close and the kids will like it.

For a sunset view at the ESB wait to see what the weather forecast will be so you can choose a clear day (another reason to do a final itinerary closer to the time).

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Draft itinerary 5ish Days with kids

Looks like a lot of SHOPPING...... my kids at that age would not be happy with that.......

There is a lot of FREE entertainment in the larger parks of NYC... Central Park, Washington Square Park, Union Square...... our granddaughter loved being the one to contribute (small amounts, but definitely worth it) to each of the street performers we enjoyed in these locations.... They were as varied as bubbles by Bethesda Fountain in Central Park to baby grand piano in Washington Square...... Also, did not see Museum of Natural History listed.... you can pick and choose once you are there.....

Some photos and notes from our visit last October:

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful trip.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,934 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Draft itinerary 5ish Days with kids

Regarding your Broadway show. You need to do a bit of research if you haven't already bought tickets. There are several shows that sell out regularly.

Here is the Trip Advisor article on discounted Broadway shows. I'd check Playbill (there's a link to the site in the article) to see what you might like & then check to see if discounts are available for that show.

If there are no discounts, you need to get to the show's website & book your tickets ASAP.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c1146/New-York…

New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Draft itinerary 5ish Days with kids

Your 1st day seems overly ambitious. Think you all will be eager for lunch before you have made the pilgrimage to the Statue of Liberty, visited the 9/11-related sites (with at least 1 detour - along Wall Street - en route), made your way through Century 21 & then boarded the subway to Brooklyn (I'd give a pass on Grimaldi's, altho' perhaps it holds so much cachet for the teens that they are insisting on going there).

Century 21 tip: don't know what their schedule will be for next September, but the lower Manhattan store historically has been open in the evenings, until 9 PM. It's less zoo-y after 7 PM than during the early morning and 12-2 PM when office workers in the area head there before work or during their lunch hour. And there is so much to see-do in lower Manhattan -- where there is free shuttle service -- if you want to give your feet a rest for some of the time --

downtownny.com/getting-around/downtown-conne…

that you could make a return trip to the area before heading through the doors of Century 21.

Closer to your arrival date, sign up to become a member of Goldstar (it's free, no obligation) so you can take advantage of the sundry discounts that will become available:

https://www.goldstar.com/new-york/events

How about enlisting the kids' assistance with the legwork of planning? Their 'net surfing-research skills are probably quite good, and you all have nearly a year to play around with shaping a general itinerary for each day ;-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Draft itinerary 5ish Days with kids

Thanks so much for your suggestions

5th Avenue will be looking not shopping

The free shuttle looks good

Are there any good free walking audio tours of Greenwich village or other areas

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Draft itinerary 5ish Days with kids

For walking tours you have a couple of different options:

Free tours by foot has walking tours all over Manhattan, including Greenwich Village. They also do free food walking tours. If you like it then you pay at the end. www.freetoursbyfoot.com

There are also self walking tours you can download from the Internet, some are free, most aren't, but they are nominal. There are also walking tours that come in a box of cards which come highly recommend by JennyrR, one of the destination experts.

Also with your itinerary, I agree with the others. Start forming a loose one now, but of you are an addict with 11 months to go, it will change many times between now and then.

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Draft itinerary 5ish Days with kids

For shopping definatley go to Century 21 - it is near the 9/11 monument

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,756 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Draft itinerary 5ish Days with kids

Who are the shoppers? The adults? Or the kids? If the kids (and I can relate to this as my kids were and are still shoppers. "The fruit does not fall far from the tree.") They would love the Lower East Side, Greenwich Village, and Soho, specially if they are looking for the "edgy" stuff.

sydney
Level Contributor
762 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Draft itinerary 5ish Days with kids

djsgc, we were in NY this Sept, we had a itiennieary, stuck to it a bit, in the end we saw everything we wanted.

We left our hotel in Times Square at 8.50am to go to the 9/11 memorial, so found the right subway and then when we got off the train, walked the completely wrong way, anyhow ended up finding the 9/11 Tribute Centre as we had a tour booked for 11am. I really recommend this tour, we got to spend about 40mins in the Tribute Centre and then we headed off for out tour with the guide, we just walked through all the security checks without having to wait in line, there were massive amounts of people lining up, would have taken up to 2hrs I reckon for the ones at end of line to get through, anyhow after our tour which last about 1 hr, we stopped at the first place we saw, Burger KIng I think lol, had something to eat and then went to St Pauls Chapel. My plans were to do this before the tour, but with so many people around it was impossible to keep to a tight schedule, anyhow after St.Pauls we tried to find the subway so we could go to Coney Island, asked a few people, one I might add sent us to the wrong line, but anyhow I think we ended catching a train around 3pm to Coney Island and had a great time there. Just trying to say that getting to and seeing the 9/11 and ST Pauls took us nearly 3/4 of the day.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Draft itinerary 5ish Days with kids

Thanks so much for your tips

WEQueen are there any streets in Lower East Side, Greenwich Village, and Soho that you can recommend?

bigmumma60 Coney Island doesn't get a good rap on these forums. I know you also were in Orlando also, would you still recommend going to Coney Island? Can you compare it to Sydney's Luna Park?

Edited: 4:54 am, October 20, 2013