We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI… Take a TAXI from LGA to NYC… vote no for Dial 7

D D
Georgia.
Level Contributor
2 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
FYI… Take a TAXI from LGA to NYC… vote no for Dial 7

Needed two cars to get 6 passengers and luggage to Time Square hotel on a Friday 5pm. Determined Dial 7 would be most appropriate due to other reviews about perhaps long taxi lines and time in traffic charges in taxi. Night and Day reviews on the 2 cars from Dial 7. Had to wait on both (taxi line was short & clear) First car came, pleasant driver, they had nice trip to hotel. Second car, had to wait much longer, he gave no assistance to skycap with luggage, only to say it wouldn't fit. Their trunks are TINY… even had upgraded car! 3 people… plus walker. (Didn't have trouble on the way back with 2 taxi's.) He had attitude issue all the way to the city, then it hit him about tip I'm sure. He tried to be pleasant. After arriving at hotel, he didn't want to take my CC, even tho I had entered the whole number on the web site. Bellman told me to use cc. When driver asked about tip, I rounded to almost 20%… really didn't want to give him anything. Then he berated me for not giving him more! Bellman stood by my side and asked if everything was alright, I told him no not really and explained. He said they see that a lot. I gave bellman more tip than driver. I'm not opposed to tipping, they just need to earn it, not expect it. Bad experience ruined good experience other car offered. Will not use them again. Suggest you take taxi.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,176 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI… Take a TAXI from LGA to NYC… vote no for Dial 7

This is why I say "don't pre-pay," because if the car is late and the taxi line is short, you can just get in the cab line.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I'm curious what kind of "attitude" you got?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI… Take a TAXI from LGA to NYC… vote no for Dial 7

yep I agree about pre paying

How much luggage did you actually have?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,327 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FYI… Take a TAXI from LGA to NYC… vote no for Dial 7

Dial 7 is a dispatch company. Drivers use their own vehicles. If you had a negative experience than you should also be contacting Dial 7. They don't want this garbage responding to their customers anymore than you want to be the recipient of it.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FYI… Take a TAXI from LGA to NYC… vote no for Dial 7

What do they care as long as they get their cut.

D D
Georgia.
Level Contributor
2 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FYI… Take a TAXI from LGA to NYC… vote no for Dial 7

We had 3 checked bags and 2 carry ons and a walker. I forgot about the walker when I made the reservation, but thought it would fit in the front seat. But instead a piece of luggage had to go in the front seat and the walker was held in our lap in the back seat. His attitude was just being negative and grumpy. All he would say as we tried to fit it in, is this will not fit! You should have booked a van. (I didn't book the smallest size, but the larger car) If I had been more savvy, I would have walked away. He complained all the way to almost the hotel, then a friendly version came out. I know it occurred to him about the tip.

I did write Dial 7 and they sent me a very nice note and an offer to refund my tip. I just want them to give it to a driver that was kind and courteous like my friend's driver.

I didn't know you could do a cash booking until my friend's booking later... didn't have a visa… only mastercard… which they wouldn't take. And as it would turn out, her cash car arrived much earlier than my visa car.

Very good learning experience. And just wanted to share so someone else could learn from it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,876 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FYI… Take a TAXI from LGA to NYC… vote no for Dial 7

Just to balance this vote NO post - I have used Dial 7 on our last 3 visits to NYC and the drivers and level of service were all great. I therefore recommended them to others from Aus who have visited and all have had positive reports. My SIL and her family who were visiting last week texted me to thank me for the suggestion as the service was prompt and efficient and the drivers were friendly, helpful and courteous.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,554 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FYI… Take a TAXI from LGA to NYC… vote no for Dial 7

Sorry for your bad experience. I've used Dial 7 twice...to and from hotel to airport. So...4 different drivers. Very good experience with all of them.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,350 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FYI… Take a TAXI from LGA to NYC… vote no for Dial 7

I'm pleased to hear that Dial 7 took your complaint seriously and even offered a refund, even though you forgot to count the walker.

They can GUARANTEE their services monetarily, but nobody can really 100% PREVENT poor service from happening. People are people, screw-ups or moody bad days happen, and how do you predict who is predisposed to this? Hopefully they will not use this driver again.

If you think about it, it's challenging for any company employing or contracting with large numbers of people to be able to 100% ensure courteous service and consistency, especially when providing a very high volume and relatively low cost service with lots of providers. It's a way lower than the cost of hiring a professional chauffeur, where I can imagine screening and standards are far more rigorous (and compensation is higher).

It seems like Dial 7 responded appropriately and did, actually, guarantee their level of service. I'm surprised that you still wanted to post a dire warning despite their "nice note" and full refund. It seems like you could have mentioned that in the original post.

I also have a few bad stories about taxi drivers (along with a few good ones). There is always the risk of poor or rude service.

I just booked Dial 7 and it was really obvious that I could do a cash booking. Did you book by phone instead of online?

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FYI… Take a TAXI from LGA to NYC… vote no for Dial 7

I'm very sorry to say this but most of the negative experiences are really more to do with the customer than about the driver or the service.

The people you are interacting with are generally very hard-working people desperately trying to eek out a meager existence in this country. There is a reason why most of the people driving taxi's and car service in New York City are recent immigrants - most American born people would rather collect food stamps than deal with the kind of nonsense visitors put taxi drivers and car service drivers through.

I'm sorry - the facts speak for themselves.

While I'm very sorry you had a bad experience, most people try to get the absolute cheapest despite how much "gear" they have in tow and the drivers just trying to earn the most basic living suffer the consequences.

The cheapest method of travel between LaGuardia Airport and Manhattan is the new city-operated (MTA) Q.70 bus from the terminal to the nearby subway station. I am not above using the new Q.70 bus and I wish more people interested in an economical airport transfer would consider the bus / subway rather than complain about cabs and car service.

Now, just to be clear - my rant here is not specific to the OP but rather the large number of people regularly complaining about airport transfers and not getting enough value for their dollar.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,200 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FYI… Take a TAXI from LGA to NYC… vote no for Dial 7

I've now used Dial 7 twice and Carmel before them twice. I preferred Dial 7 because their cars were a step up from the s-h vans Carmel sent. However, all 4 drivers barely spoke any English. This did not enhance or detract from my experience. What I care most about is getting to where I'm going safely.

If I want a superior experience I'd book something like Strusser's. But since I don't want to pay that much for a chatty driver, I'm happy with what I do pay for.