We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

after days of researching, this is the final itinerary!

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
after days of researching, this is the final itinerary!

we are arriving into newark on 4th nov at 12.30pm, no idea how long immigration will take but ive allowed up to 3 hours before we arrive at the metro hotel on W35th. times are guidelines but heres the plan:

Monday 4th November-Arrive at Newark around 12:30pm

-NJ Transit from Newark Airport to Penn Station, 10 min walk to Hotel Metro W 35th St.

-Check in around 3-ish, unpack, quick shower and change.

-Coffee and snack 4pm, Coffee Corner or Starbucks 6th Ave & W 27th

-Bottlerocket for wine 4.45pm W 19th between 6th & 5th Avenue

-Designer Shoe Warehouse 5pm on W 34th St, via Broadway, 15 min walk from Bottlerocket

-Macy’s 5.45pm for a browse, W 34th, 2 min walk from DSW

-Dump shopping at hotel. 6.30pm, 4min walk

-Thai dinner on 9th Avenue, Hell’s Kitchen. 7pm, via Broadway & W 46th, 21 min walk from Hotel. (Aceluck, Noodies, Thai Select)

-Pumpkin cider or beer at the Pony Bar on 10th 8-8.30, 2 min from 9th Ave

-wonder back to hotel through Times Square 12 min walk from Pony Bar.

-Back to hotel 10.30pm, W 35th, via Broadway, 16 min walk from Times Square.

Tuesday 5th November MY 30TH BIRTHDAY!!!!!-Lower Manhattan-early start! Breakfast at 7:15am, set off at 8am

-Metro from W 34th Herald Square to Whitehall St, 23 min

-Staten Island Ferry for views of Statue of Liberty 9-9:15. -9/11 Memorial-passes booked for 11am, Via Greenwich St, 14 min walk from ferry

-Coffee break. Midday

-Century 21 for a browse 12:30pm, via Albany St, 8 min walk from memorial

-Wall Street, Stock Exchange, Federal bank of NY. 2-2.30pm. via Trinity Place, 6 min from Century 21.

-Lunch. Shorty’s for a cheesesteak! 2.30-3pm via Wall St & Pearl St, 5 min walk from Wall St

-Brooklyn Bridge for views of Manhattan skyline 3.30-5pm, via Nassau St. 19 min

-Economy Candy on Rivington St 5pm. Via Ludlow St, 30 min walk from bridge.

-Metro from Delancy St to W 34th Herald Sq at 5.45pm to get back to hotel for shower & change. 15 min

-Take Metro at 7.45pm from Penn Station at to Canal St for La Sirene (Broome St) for Birthday Dinner. Table reserved for 8.30, arrive at 8pm., 18 min

-Metro from Canal St to Times Sq 42nd St for Top floor of the Strand for cocktail & views of ESB 10-10:30pm. 20 min

-Empire State Building- to the top for views of NYC by night, after 10:30-11pm, via W 37th & 5th Ave, 6 min walk from The Strand (maybe do this the following day after Broadway show if too tired)

-Back to hotel midnight. Via 5th Ave & W 35th St, 4 min walk from ESB

Wednesday 6th November-Midtown Manhattan-breakfast at 8am, set off at 8.30-9am

-Rockefeller Centre for TOTR & shops 9:30-10:00am. Via 6th Ave, 3 min walk from Hotel

-Central Park South (ice-skating) 11:30am. Via 5th Ave & W 59th, 3 min walk from Rockefeller Centre.

-Strawberry Fields in Central Park 12:30pm, via Central Park Driveway, 13 min walk from ice rink

-Lunch- Luke’s Lobster, South Central Park W 59th, The Plaza, 17 min from Strawberry Fields

-Bloomingdales, 2pm, via E 59th, 10 min walk from Luke’s Lobster

-Tiffany’s 3pm, via E 57th, 11 min walk from Bloomingdale’s

-Back to hotel by 4.30pm to dump bags, shower & change, via 5th Ave & W 35th St, 23 min walk from Tiffany’s

-Ellen’s Stardust Diner for milkshake & a main 6pm via Broadway, 18 min walk from Hotel

-Phantom of The Opera, Majestic Theatre 8pm, arrive 7.20pm to collect tickets via 7th Ave & West 44th, 3 min walk from Ellen’s

-Drink at Jimmy’s Corner 10:30pm, ($3 a beer! Great reviews!) W 44th St, 5 min walk

-Back to hotel 11:30pm, via 6th Ave, 12 min walk from Jimmy’s

Thursday 7th November-Shopping! Breakfast 8am, set off 8.30-9am

-Stroll around Greenwich Village area for shops & coffee 9:30-10am, via 6th Ave, 31 min walk from Hotel

-Lunch at Gray’s Papaya, midday for a tasty hot dog! Via Greenwich Ave & Perry St, 3 min walk from the village

-Union Square 12.30-1pm. via W 9th St & University Place, 12 min from Gray’s

-5th Ave for shopping. 1-6pm with coffee/drink break halfway

-Sit down for a drink and rest after shopping 6pm

-Dump bags in hotel, shower & change 6.30pm

-Dinner at Nino’s 46 7:30pm, 7th Ave & W 46th St, 4 min walk

-Back to hotel at 9.30pm for bottle of wine, start packing & early night.

Friday 8th November-Flight at 7:30pm. Breakfast at 7:30. Pack, head out by 9am.

-Times Square for any shops missed on the first day 9am, via W 35th & Broadway, 17 min walk from hotel

-Coffee Break, Starbucks? 11.15am

-View Chrysler Building 11:30am. Via E 45thth St & Lexington Ave, 17 min walk

-Explore Grand Central Station, 11.45 via E 42nd St, 3 min walk from Chrysler.

-Junior’s in Grand Central for lunch, people watching & best cheesecake ever! 1pm

-Collect luggage from hotel at 3pm (depending on check-in time) via Madison or Park Ave & E 35th St, 13 min walk

-10 min walk to Penn station to get NJ Transit from Penn Station to Newark by 3:30pm, airport check in at 4:30pm (3 hours before flight unless stated otherwise)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
381 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: after days of researching, this is the final itinerary!

Is Chrysler Building a must? You can skip it and take the shuttle from Times Square right into Grand Central.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,825 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: after days of researching, this is the final itinerary!

What an insane itinerary. I wish you luck. Be aware, you're not going to have any time to walk on the Brooklyn Bridge with the schedule as you've laid it out. I strongly encourage you to use the subway more - that's what it's there for.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,513 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: after days of researching, this is the final itinerary!

In general, your timing seems very tight and rushed. You're visiting lots of stores but not really allowing time to shop. e.g. allowing a total of 1 hour to shop for wine at the wine store, walk 15 minutes to DSW, AND shop for shoes there (DSW has a GAZILLION shoes).

BTW, check-in time for hotel Metro begins at 4pm. You may not get into your room at 3, so be prepared to drop your bags and come back later.

There seems to be little wiggle room to stop to enjoy places or scenes (or even interesting shops) you discover during your travels vs racing around to places you've chosen in advance.

It looks like you've tried to allow for exploring an interesting neighborhood with Greenwich Village, but you've scheduled only 2 hours. Also note that quite a few stores in the Village do not open until 11am, but you've scheduled "shops" beginning at 9:30 am.. It's more of a late place than an early morning place.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: after days of researching, this is the final itinerary!

Chrysler building isn't a must but would like to see it. We don't walk as much as we'd like to do want to walk anywhere that takes less than half an hour! I was thinking of walking the bridge halfway. correct me if I'm wrong but I read that Brooklyn Bridge is about a mile long so would take about 20 mins to half an hour to walk each way if we don't take hundreds of photos so my other half wants to walk all the way and back!

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: after days of researching, this is the final itinerary!

Chrysler building isn't a must but would like to see it. We don't walk as much as we'd like to do want to walk anywhere that takes less than half an hour! I was thinking of walking the bridge halfway. correct me if I'm wrong but I read that Brooklyn Bridge is about a mile long so would take about 20 mins to half an hour to walk each way if we don't take hundreds of photos so my other half wants to walk all the way and back! As regards to the shops.... I've looked on their websites and know what I want to buy in each shop so I don't need hours to look round them and I can't afford a massive spree!

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: after days of researching, this is the final itinerary!

The times are only a guideline and not to be stuck to rigidly

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
381 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: after days of researching, this is the final itinerary!

What are going to do when you get to the middle of the bridge? I would skip this and take the subway into Brooklyn and walk along the Brooklyn Bridge Park to see it, instead.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: after days of researching, this is the final itinerary!

Turn round and come back to see the skyline looming towards us. Is the info I read on the distance correct?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
381 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: after days of researching, this is the final itinerary!

I agree it sounds tight - like the Top of the Rock - it could take 30 minutes just to get up and down from the decks.. so then you are only leaving yourself 30 minutes to explore the 3 decks and the shops? Not realistic.

I would also suggest skipping the staten island ferry and rearranging that day to ride the new water taxi. You can catch it about a mile from your hotel, and ride to passed the statue of liberty (it stops there for a long while and then you get to jersey city, hoboken and the ellis island) and then get off at 6th street seaport to do your FiDi tour and then get back on to go over to Brooklyn Bridge - walk Brooklyn Bridge Park and then walk back over the bridge (if you still think you want to do this). If not, t he water taxi is hop on, hop off all day, runs every 30 minutes, so you can get back on at brooklyn bridge park and head back to midtown.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: after days of researching, this is the final itinerary!

You arrival day is focused around Herald Square (hotel and shopping) and then dinner up in Hell's Kitchen, back to your hotel via Times Square. How and why do you have Bottlerocket on 19th Street in the Flatiron district listed there too? It's completely out of your way - and not even that special.

You're probably not going to get everything on your list done each day, and your timing will probably be completely off each day by lunch, so please just use your itinerary only as a general guide, a 'wishlist', and go with the flow.

Also, it's subway, not metro. :)

Edited: 3:08 pm, October 08, 2013