We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Big Apple Greeter :(

Groningen...
Level Contributor
638 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
No Big Apple Greeter :(

When we heard about the Big Apple Greeter Program for the first time, we thought it was a wonderful idea. A local showing us his or her city seemed like a wonderful thing to us. We wanted a greeter so badly, we filled in the application form right away. To enhance our chances of getting a greeter, we didn't ask for any specific area we wanted to see, but filled in 'greeter's choice'. Of course we knew the greeter program is run by a limited number of volunteers and it was possible, that no match was found for our dates. But sending in the application form in May for a visit in October we were confident, they would find us a greeter. Unfortunately we were wrong. When we left our home country for the US about a week ago, we still hadn't heard from the Big Apple Greeter. But even then we didn't give up hope just yet. We checked our e-mail account every day, but unfortunately there weren't any messages from the Big Apple Greeter. Only when we arrived at. our NYC hotel today, there was a message waiting for us saying, that Big Apple Greeter was unable to match us with a greeter. Needless to say how disappointed we are.

Please don't see this as a bad review for the greeter program, because it's not. We still think it is a wonderful initiative. But we want this to be a warning to all future applicants, who think that an early application is a garanty for getting a greeter. Well it's not!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Big Apple Greeter :(

I'm very sorry to hear about this.

Please kindly let us know if there is anything that you would like instructions on and please feel free to come back with any questions at the end of the day as to what something was.

I understand your disappointment and I hope we can soften the blow by at least answering any questions or helping you with your itinerary.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Big Apple Greeter :(

That's a shame you didn't get a Greeter even after applying well in advance. I think I read somewhere that these days you have to really promote yourself when applying to make sure you get one. I don't know how true this is though and how you would promote yourself on a standard application form.

Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Big Apple Greeter :(

Hi there,

I'm sorry that they were unable to match you to a Big Apple Greeter. Like yourself I have applied for one in advance as I think it would be a very unique tour and with a great perspective.

I submitted my application in mid September for our travel dates (12th - 27th Dec), although they do recommend that the tour ahold happen within the first day or two of arrival. We have had a confirmation of the submission and that we will be notified once we get to New York. Wish we could be told a day or tow earlier as it can be built into the itinerary.

Can we have a trip report? :) love reading them!

Groningen...
Level Contributor
638 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Big Apple Greeter :(

Hi Shika,

I hope for you, that you will have better luck than us and you will be able to get a greeter. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Yes, we will write a trip report once we are back home again. I will post the link to it here on tripadvisor, once it is online.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: No Big Apple Greeter :(

Bad news but not the end of the world.

They are very clear about all this on the website.

While I understand your post and sincerity I do feel this is the type of feeling that might signal the beginning of the end of BAG.

Victim of its success no doubt.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Big Apple Greeter :(

October is such a popular time to visit, and there just aren't enough volunteers to go round. It is a great program, and I'm sorry that you couldn't get a BAG.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Big Apple Greeter :(

That's unfortunate. We applied in August for our visit in November, but I have a backup plan of a Free Tours on Foot tour of Brooklyn Heights, if we find out we don't have a BAG. Just hoping the tour will still be available when we are ready to book. It is a bit hard to make other plans though, when you don't know if/when you will have a BAG!

Groningen...
Level Contributor
638 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Big Apple Greeter :(

Thanks again to all of you for your support! I just wanted to let you know, that we had a great time in NYC in spite of the fact, that we didn't get a Big Apple Greeter. As suggested by some of you we did a Free Tours by Foot walk in Harlem and had a wonderful time. Our guide was a local guy, who lives in Harlem and he told us a lot about the history, the culture and the inhabitants of this neighbourhood. We learned a lot about Harlem, but we also had heaps of fun.

Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No Big Apple Greeter :(

Thanks-I look forward to reading all about your trip!

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you budget for food and drinks per day and did you budget correctly or go over/under?

Groningen...
Level Contributor
638 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No Big Apple Greeter :(

Hi Shika,

We didn't really have a budget for food and drinks. Breakfast was complimentary at our hotel, so we didn't spend too much on that. For lunch we usually had something from a food cart or bakery spending around 20 $ for the two of us. For dinner at a proper restaurant we ususally spent between 80 and 90 $ for the two of us having an entree with either an appetizer (1 shared between the two of us) or dessert (one each). We usually didn't go to very expensive places though. Hope this helps!