We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimsuits required?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Swimsuits required?

Hi, we've booked for 8 nights at the beginning of July 2014. Shall we pack swimwear - where would we use it?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,926 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimsuits required?

Does your hotel have a pool? Will you be using a spa? Are you going to the beach?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimsuits required?

No hotel pool and wont be going to a spa. My question I suppose is - are there public beaches close to Manhattan or swimming lakes?

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,092 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimsuits required?

Are you planning to enter a swimsuit competition

Glasgow
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimsuits required?

No, but normally on vacation in the summer I will swim if there is an opportunity. I'm sorry that I am not knowledgeable about NYC, never having been out of Europe for holidays, so dont know if there is anywhere like a beach or lake for swimming. I thought this might be the place to ask such a question but I suppose I could google it and see what comes up.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimsuits required?

How much space / weight does a swimsuit take up in your bag? Why not just throw it in there and if you end up finding somewhere to use it, (since swimming seems to be something you're interested in) you're fine, and if you don't, you haven't lost anything...

texas
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimsuits required?

Someone posted this over the Summer and it was interesting. Since you seem to love water, have a look. Or maybe do a beach day since you are there for 8 days.

timeout.com/newyork/sport-fitness/best-swimm…

Edited: 5:08 pm, October 05, 2013
Ohio
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimsuits required?

Eight days will fly by, there's so much to do! I've visited 14 times in the past few years and I can honestly say the only time I gave a thought to swimming was when we went to the hot dog eating contest at Coney Island. That thought passed quickly when I saw how incredibly packed the beach was. The water didn't look very inviting either.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimsuits required?

Coney Island isn't very nice but there are lovely beaches for a day trip.

Fire Island is a great day trip. If you like the water and you think you might enjoy the beach, why not consider a day trip? The Long Island Rail Road offers beach packages. I do not know the exact cost for next summer as they're usually not posted until mid-May but I suspect it will be in the $32. - $35. range (per person - all transport included).

Ocean Beach is the busiest community with great dining options, cute little shops, and beautiful bay and ocean beaches with lifeguards. You take the Long Island Rail Road from New York Penn Station to Bay Shore. There are always vans waiting for every train and your package comes with a ticket for the van. The van takes you to the Fire Island Ferry (www.fireislandferries.com). It is a beautiful 30 minute crossing of the Great South Bay to the pristine barrier island "Fire Island"

You can have lunch at Maguire's and dinner at Island Mermaid or vice versa (plus many other choices). Fire Island is super casual and it is a great day trip for people who like the beach.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimsuits required?

If you visit Coney Island, you might want to don a suit.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimsuits required?

Coney Island is actually great fun. Well worth a day tyrip and it's easy... Only a $2.50 Subway ride. We were there in September and there were plenty of people swimming. For Coney Island, think not as sedate as Largs but not as brash as Blackpool. If you have kids they will love it!