We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap broadway tkts

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap broadway tkts

Hi all

Been looking at some broadway show for our trip next march thinking among others the Motown musical or Book of Mormon but both are very expensive.

So the question is how do we score some cheap tickets for Broadway?

Jonnyboy

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,953 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap broadway tkts

To get discounts you need to go to the web sites TheaterMania, Playbill Club or Broadway Box. The 1st 2 will require you to join their free clubs.

I recommend prospective ticket buyers go to all three as they all offer different discounts. For example, I wanted to buy a ticket on discount to an off Broadway show called Lady Day. The 1st 2 had discounts that expire 10/27 but I could get a discount for the day I wanted on Broadway Box.

You could also wait until you get here & queue up at one of the TKTS booths or go to NYC & Co on 7th near 53rd & pick up a discount paper & bring it directly to the box office.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,953 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap broadway tkts

I forgot a couple of things. Discounts usually do not go into effect until a month before the performance if not a shorter period of time.

Also, discounts are given to shows that need to sell empty seats. Book of Mormon is sold out for months in advance at this time so you will not find any discounts. I'm also not seeing a discount for Motown on TheaterMania so you might not get a discount for that show either.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap broadway tkts

You can't score cheap tickets for the most popular musicals. BOM is never discounted. I suppose that could change by March, but I doubt it. Motown the Musical is also quite popular.

Go to Broadwaybox.com and check out the Broadway shows that are discounted there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap broadway tkts

The way to score cheap Broadway tickets is to pick shows that are not in such strong demand. Book of Mormon? Not a chance imo. Motown..possibly by next March but it requires waiting and risking them being sold out. Look on the left column of

Broadwaybox.com

And you'll see waht's discounted now.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap broadway tkts

I booked my mamma Mia ticket before I went and paid $90. The couple sitting next to me paid $75 each that afternoon, so a bit cheaper, but not hugely. I know you're not looking at that musical, but just giving you an example :)

Monkey6870

6. Re: Cheap broadway tkts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:48 am, December 12, 2013
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,087 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap broadway tkts

There was a time when standing in line at the TKTS booth was pretty much the only way to get discount tickets to Broadway shows. These days, online discounters (such as Broadwaybox) are easier and will often get you better seats at better prices than the TKTS booth. Plus you don't have to devote a chunk of time to it!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,110 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap broadway tkts

There are many gimmicks out there. The theater clubs mentioned above, Belonging to TDF the parent organization of TKTS ( if you qualify, doesn't pay for tourists) knowing someone who knows someone, Bottom line, pay what you are comfortable with and enjoy your show. If you start surveying people sitting near you, there is a chance you will find you did better BUT there is also a chance you will find that you did worse. It isn't worth knowing if it makes you upset. ( btw same rule applies on airlines)

9. Re: Cheap broadway tkts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 05, 2014