We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Statue of Liberty & Crown trip report and slide show

baltimore
Level Contributor
151 posts
431 reviews
Save Topic
Statue of Liberty & Crown trip report and slide show

We purchased our Mega Bus tickets and Statue of Liberty tickets with Crown access about two 1/2 months ago. We left Baltimore on Friday morning at 5:30 a.m. on the Mega Bus to New York City. The bus was on time. There were only about 25 people on the bus. We paid $3 for our fare up and $28 back. You could not drive and park for this price. This is a great way to visit NY for the day, leaving the driving to someone else. The bus dropped us off around 8:30 on 7th Ave & 28th Street. There was a subway on the corner. But if you do not have a Metro Card, you have to go across the street to buy it from that station, and then go back across the street to the other station. (NOTE: they charge $1 for a Metro Card which you can reload).

The metro only took 25 minutes and we were picking up our will call tickets at 9:00a.m. We had a 10:00 a.m. time slot to go up in the crown. They allowed us to get on the ferry. You arrive on the island and make your way to the right. Even though they send you back the way you come, walk right by them as you need to store your things and go through security again to get to the crown. It costs $2 for a locker. They would not let me take a small purse with me and they opened the locker back up again to put the purse inside. They give you wrist bands and you make your way through security again. We immediately headed up the 195 stairs to the pedestal. Once we made it we got in line for the crown where you climb another 162 steps for a total of 357 stairs to get to the crown. They only allow 6 people or so in the crown at one time. When someone comes down a set of steps, they allow others to go up. You go up so many steps to a small platform before you go up the next set. As you get to the top the lighting is not very good. The steps are very small and winding. If you are tall you will need to be careful, especially coming back down. There were two govt employees to tell you about the crown. You can take pictures, look out the windows and head back down. We stopped at the pedestal platform and took pictures. Afterwards we went back and went through the museum.

We went back and collected our things out of the locker and spent some time enjoying the area before we made our way back to the boat to return to NY. Attached is a slideshow of our time visiting the Statue of Liberty.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-07dd-a916-6b0e…

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from $175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from $199.00*
$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from $83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from $36.00*
West Yorks
Level Contributor
961 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Statue of Liberty & Crown trip report and slide show

Thanks for this - the stairs don't look as claustrophobic as I feared!

baltimore
Level Contributor
151 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Statue of Liberty & Crown trip report and slide show

Its very closed in and dark the closer you get to the top for some reason. Once you get to the last platform, it gets lighter..... I was glad it was not dark for to long. This is a very strenuous climb. I lightened up some of the pictures.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
961 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Statue of Liberty & Crown trip report and slide show

BTW was the $2 locker fee refundable?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Statue of Liberty & Crown trip report and slide show

Thanks for this - I get a little claustrophobic and have been worried about our visit.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,970 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Statue of Liberty & Crown trip report and slide show

Thanks for the report and slideshow. It brings back memories.

One thing about TripWow. It's OK for sharing pictures but it was about 1 minute before your pictures started showing, I almost closed it because it was taking too long. TA take note, if it's not user friendly people won't use it!

baltimore
Level Contributor
151 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Statue of Liberty & Crown trip report and slide show

No the locker fee was not refundable

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Statue of Liberty & Crown trip report and slide show

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Statue of Liberty & Crown trip report and slide show

Thanks so much for sharing

London, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Statue of Liberty & Crown trip report and slide show

Nice mini TR, and thanks for explaining the procedure in plain English. On previous visits to NY this attraction has always been closed, so I'm really looking forward to going up in Jan. It's just a shame they didn't install a giant helter-skelter inside or a fireman's pole!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Statue of Liberty & Crown trip report and slide show

Thanks for the slightly different style of TR. It's fab to get a detailed report of a specific attraction.