We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early modern landmarks

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Topic
Early modern landmarks

Anyone familiar with the Lescaze House at 211 East 48th or the Edward Durell Stone House at 130 East 64th Street? Both appear to be private and can't find that either is open to the public. Would anyone know otherwise? I have found that the Paul Rudolph House at 246 East 58th is open at times. Anyone know of other early-mid 20th century residential properties of architectural interest which may be open? thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early modern landmarks

You missed being able to rent the Stone house for a mere $16,000/month but you can see what it looked like inside.

www.corcoran.com/nyc/Listings/Display/695542

Some photos of the Lescaze House

http://tinyurl.com/lg4gu4t

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early modern landmarks

It looks like the Paul Rudolph foundation does tours. I once toured it but I remember it as being sponsored by an organization I belonged to (don't remember which one).

http://www.paulrudolph.org/events.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early modern landmarks

Do you know about Open House weekend? Many private homes open for tours if architecturally interesting. It's coming up in a couple of weeks - October 12 and 13.

www.ohny.org

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early modern landmarks

Sadly I am missing Open House by a week. Thanks so much for pointing it out. Great responses from you all and so quickly. I am also slowly researching other pre-mid 20th century architectural interiors which I might have missed before and which may be open. I'm pretty aware of the major landmarks and museums (some of which are formerly historic homes), but if you recommend any obscure places, I'd appreciate it (time for Manhattan only).

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,970 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Early modern landmarks

it isn't open to the public, but perhaps looking at this this will be of interest

www.corcoran.com/nyc/Listings/Display/2330809

It is the house the weathermen accidentally blew up.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Village_townho…

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early modern landmarks

Just a thought. If Open House NY doesn't help you, would contacting the NY Historical Society help?

New-York Historical Society

www.nyhistory.org

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early modern landmarks

You might want to contact Matt Postal at the Muniipal Arts Society

http://mas.org/tours/starchitecture-nyc/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early modern landmarks

The only Frank Lloyd Wright structure in NYC aside from the Guggenheim is on Staten Island:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crimson_Beech

Not open to the public but you can see it from the street, I've thought of going by there sometime.

9. Re: Early modern landmarks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 26, 2014