We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

packing dilema

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
packing dilema

hi all,

You have been a constant source of info over the past few months of my following threads however I still have 1 little prob..what to pack.The son is getting married central park in 4 weeks time.I've studied historical weather etc and whilst I know none of you can give a prediction any advice on clothing is welcome.I have a dress and jacket for wedding but what else for rest of time???jeans/jacket???will we need scarfs/hats??flat summer pumps and boots just in case???I've got stress over how many seasons to account for in 1 week.All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Lesley.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: packing dilema

You have the most important item, your mother if the groom outfit, so rest easy. Check out the weather a week before to be accurate, Mid October is usually beautiful, you might have some rain so pack the foldable umbrella. Jeans, pants skirts, jackets; add scarves for colour, and well broken into shoes for comfort.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,649 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: packing dilema

we went that time last year. i wore jeans mostly. t-shirts/long-sleeved t's. i took a short coat, a long trench-style mac, summer hiking shoes, a pair of heels and a pair of long biker boots. added a wooly hat, gloves and scarf for our trip out to the hudson valley, where it was colder.

the temperature ranged from 12 centigrade to 28 centigrade. dropped to 7 or 8 at night. it rained some.

about a week after our visit - the hurricane hit.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: packing dilema

Thanks for info..yeh I recall last year when we knew about the wedding being so shocked but thankfull it wasnt then.It must have been pretty scarey.Yeh glad got my wedding outfit sorted just last week.Going to 6 flags and a drive to Mystic whilst we there so packing for comfort too.Will black jeans and nice top be ok for most eateries??thanks again..Lesley.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,649 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: packing dilema

something to note - if you are planning to shop, take the things you would need for warmer weather [having checked the forecast] because the winter things are in all the stores. so it is easier to buy a sweater than a t-shirt.

my husband treated himself to a real bargain - a down filled jacket was on sale at the burlington coat factory. very smart and exceptional quality.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,649 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: packing dilema

smart jeans and a nice top are fine in most places. i also took opaque tights, one pair of 'insulated' tights [from primark - a bargain], a short skirt with a couple of tunics. the insulated tights were useful on the second weekend. i could have worn shorts on the first day! we came out of the airport after dark and it was still 22 degrees!

i hope the wedding goes well. how exciting for you!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: packing dilema

While, jeans and a nice top will work for most eateries, you might want to dress up a bit more if you are going to somewhere special, ie, the "before" event dinner.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: packing dilema

Layers are critical. You could have a very nice warmish day, but expect cold early am and late pm. Think chilly but not really cold yet.

Edited: 2:56 pm, September 21, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: packing dilema

As we enter the season of OMG what do I wear, here are the wardrobe pieces I've found over the years that span multiple seasons/occasions/locations that are basics for me both at home and when I travel:

-one really good pair of black slacks in a fabric that works for most seasons that can be dressed up or down. Even better if they don't wrinkle.

-a great looking light weight cashmere sweater that can be dressed up or down in a great color. Wear it alone or over a shirt or under a blazer.

-ankle length boots that are comfortable for walking, look better than sneakers and can also be dressed up or down.

And last but not least...and I understand not everyone's style, a nice, plain black wool cape. I bought mine some 30 years ago as a last minute panic purchase to wear over a strapless evening gown when I found out I would be in a church for the beginning of the night. I paid a fortune for it at the time but rationalized that by being totally plain and unadorned, I could wear it with anything (not thinking that I actually would). Well over the years, this item has been the most practical, useful thing I EVER bought. I can take it on a plane and use it as a blanket and not worry about who's used the airline's blanket before me. I can layer it over a jacket or blazer if it gets too cold and can even wear it over a coat for extra warmth. It can look casual, sport or dressy.

Some great looking costume jewelry and maybe a scarf or two for accessorizing and you're set..

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: packing dilema

Yeh..so excited...am going to keep an eye on the weather for sure ...thicker tights a good plan and prob a summer dress which can go under cardi/jacket maybe for warmer days then or more dressy meal...dont think there will be shopping time as its a quick trip due to work commitments.Plan is..arrive Sat eve...check in go for food..Sunday 6 flags..Monday drive to Mystic..Tue zoo day time(with 2x 2yr old grandaughters) then some going to ice hockey in the evening.(islanders??v canucks??) ..wedding Wednesday..Thurs fly home in evening..quite full agenda really.Thanks again..any further advice /info/etc very welcomed.Lesley.x

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: packing dilema

Thanks nywiz..great info..you have been key to most of our plans...its due to you that we sought out legit accomodation and are staying at the Salisbury.I've got loads of costume jewellery so good tip....cape too...as a pointer I'm 56 ..not old but need to dress appropriate and comfortable.I love my ankle boots so will be packing them which I hadnt thought to do.Cheers.Lesley.x