We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I know I am going to sound dumb but...............

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
475 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
I know I am going to sound dumb but...............

I am a fairly regular surfer on this forum but only a novice when it comes to computer knowledge.

Can someone tell me how you:

1. insert a topic a previous thread (think you are an expert Jenny) and

2. bring forward some words from another post to refer to?

Not even sure you will understand what I am asking.....but if you can, would you give this poor old Luddite some assistance?

Many thanks PG :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I know I am going to sound dumb but...............

1. a) Select all of the web address. You can do this two ways - hold down your mouse button and drag to select all of it in the address bar (which is where you type www.tripadvisor.com or www.google.com, etc), OR you can click anywhere in the address bar and type CTRL+A (PC) or Command+A (Mac).

b) Once the web address is highlighted in blue, then copy it by selecting CTRL+C (PC) or Command+C (Mac).

c) Paste it in the Reply box by typing CTRL+V (PC) or Command+V (Mac).

2. Same thing as in 1. Highlight the words in blue by holding down the mouse button while moving the cursor over the words, then copy and paste as above.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I know I am going to sound dumb but...............

Hi Peegee....

What I do for #1 is go to the Previous Thread, highlight the URL and copy that. Then I go to the Thread I want to post it into and use the PASTE function.

Does this make sense?

But, if you've started typing your POST in the thread you cannot do this...if you go away from that thread to find the URL of the other one, you'll lose your text. So if you do this, just open another TAB on your Browser and open the Forum a second time and you can move between both.

Let me know if that makes sense too..it's hard to explain without showing you.

Also make sure you have the URL quite separate from all other text - eg full stops, commas, dashes, ellipses, emoticons....it won't work as a LINK if you have added this extra text....

eg

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6859… (with ellipses attached)

VERSUS

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6859… (stand alone URL)

I do the same for #2 and use << and >> to indicate some-one else's previous text...

But I am not sure this is the RIGHT way to do this, and would love to hear what others say.

Edited: 8:57 pm, September 20, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I know I am going to sound dumb but...............

Ha ha...the link with the ellipses added worked...go figure!

Kate's instructions for selecting, copying and pasting fill in the gaps in my post if you didn't know how to do that....I wasn't sure...I know my partner doesn't know how to do select, copy and paste, or have multiple tabs

open in his Browser...so I try to remember it's not something we all know. I am a mostly a luddite...but those things are handy to know how to do I think.

PS you can do this for all URL's ...not just other threads...eg the oft posted URL to Ziggy's food blog. That's a good example to see how to do it with two tabs open and moving between the Forum and another one.

Edited: 9:06 pm, September 20, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
475 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I know I am going to sound dumb but...............

Thanks folks. It is as clear as mud .....my comprehension at fault not your explanations!!! Doesn't help the focus that I am sitting in one of the local cafes enjoying some delicious French pastries & coffee. Will have a go when I am back in front of the computer. If you hear the screams from where you are you'll know I am defeated ;)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I know I am going to sound dumb but...............

I'll be here till 12.30pm and will check back to see how loud the screams are...are you trying on a mobile device? You can do it on on Tablet (eg Ipad) but I don't have a smart phone so cannot say.

Good luck!

J

6. Re: I know I am going to sound dumb but...............

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 22, 2014