We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Topic
Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens

Which one of Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens is usually the cheapest?

I must admit we do go mad in these, silly I know but love these stores, Ive seen quite a few near the hotel we have the Westin Grand on 42nd but just wondered which one is usually the cheapest on average?

Also th Walgreens smack bang in Times Square, does it wack up the prices because of the location?

Thanks

C

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens

I haven't a clue but they all have websites so why not pick an item you like and compare it on all three? The only difference imo is what they carry on own brand items.

dublin
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens

Hi there, I too love these stores. I found them to be similar in price, but lately Walgreens has been better stocked, and more modernised than Duane Reades. They seem to have much more selection.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens

Duane Reade is now owned by Walgreen's, so I wouldn't expect a price difference between the two.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens

If you have a store Card usually Rite Aid is the cheapest, but it not everywhere. CVS is decent. Duane reade is owned by Walgreens.

make sure you have store cards for each one of these stores. They are free and can have you good deals.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,007 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens

Historically Duane Reade was known for their small, crampt stores and sullen staff, but they have been upgrading. There is even a blog called "I hate Duane Reade" http://ihateduanereade.blogspot.com/

See also:

businessweek.com/magazine/duane-reades-mirac…

nymag.com/nymetro/shopping/features/11908/

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens

I love these shops as well when I am over.

I will be stocking up on Pepcid Ac Complete Tablets and Secrets Deodorant when we go in November as I can't get either of them in Ireland.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens

I shop at DRs because they are on every corner. They are no bargain, but then again - they are on every corner!

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens

Rite Aid is probably the cheapest. Since Walgreen's bought DR, there are no bargains. Shopping in all of them is maddening.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens

They're all more or less the same. It depends on what's on sale. They have cards to sign up for except Walgreens and Rite Aid. The difference is small, Cold meds might be 50 cents more ore less, barring big weekly sales. Check the websites if you're really into it.

If Duane Reade is listening-bring back the cool recycle bags that say DR on them! No DRs in Boston and the tote was like an NYC souvenir!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Duane Reade, CVS, Walgreens

I didn't notice a difference in price at the Walgreens in TS. The store is busy but I like its location; many a night I have done some shopping here after coming out of the theatre.