We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR New York first timers aug 26 - sept 2

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
TR New York first timers aug 26 - sept 2

We are a couple from Aus myself 29 and my wife T is 28 on our honeymoon even though we married in feb. New York was our first stop as part of 3 1/2 weeks in the states, done a lot of research via trip advisor for many months prior and I think this forum more than any other had the best and most accurate advice so many thanks for making our holiday incredible.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR New York first timers aug 26 - sept 2

Stayed at Distrikt hotel and as everyone says staff were super nice, our shower leaked and had to log back in to the wifi every couple of hours which became a little annoying but other than that our stay was great. We flew from Syd to NY with a 3 hour stop over in LA, from hotel to hotel it took about 24 hours so we arrived pretty tired but hungry so we thought we would explore a little and get something to eat but as we left the hotel it started raining so settled for the pizza place on the corner. I love the Parmesan cheese and chilli flakes u can sprinkle on your slice, so ate that and went to bed as we a had a massive day planned for tomorrow.

Now a lot of people probably think we done too much on our first day but we are both pretty fit and the excitement of it all kept us going. We had already booked the Real New York Tour a few months earlier and it was well worth it, please wear comfy shoes there was a lot of walking and the mrs got a blister which I had to hear her complain about for the next few days anyway there was a group of about 12 and everyone was quite friendly. I would recommend doing this tour early in your trip as it gave us some ideas of where we wanted to go back to. We started on broadway and went to little Italy, Chinatown, soho, Greenwich village, Wall Street, 911 area, Central Park and Times Square, our guide was excellent and full of energy and showed us so many things that we would have missed if we were just walking past ourselves. The tour finished at 5 and we had tickets to wicked at 7 so back to the hotel to get ready, we ate on the run a fair bit as we were so busy so sorry to all the foodies out there I do remember a few restaurants but didn't write any names down. Now musicals are not my thing, I was just going to keep the mrs happy but I have to admit that this show was unbelievable, it was a massive production and we were very impressed, do off to bed after a huge day.

much on our first day but we are both pretty fit and the excitement of it all kept us going. We had already booked the Real New York Tour a few months earlier and it was well worth it, please wear comfy shoes there was a lot of walking and the mrs got a blister which I had to hear her complain about for the next few days anyway there was a group of about 12 and everyone was quite friendly. I would recommend doing this tour early in your trip as it gave us some ideas of where we wanted to go back to. We started on broadway and went to little Italy, Chinatown, soho, Greenwich village, Wall Street, 911 area, Central Park and Times Square, our guide was excellent and full of energy and showed us so many things that we would have missed if we were just walking past ourselves. The tour finished at 5 and we had tickets to wicked at 7 so back to the hotel to get ready, we ate on the run a fair bit as we were so busy so sorry to all the foodies out there I do remember a few restaurants but didn't write any names down. Now musicals are not my thing, I was just going to keep the mrs happy but I have to admit that this show was unbelievable, it was a massive production and We were very impressed, do off to bed after a huge day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR New York first timers aug 26 - sept 2

Gosh that was a big first day....wonder how you felt the next day and what time you woke up?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR New York first timers aug 26 - sept 2

I forgot to mention we bought 7 day unlimited metro cards which we think we're well worth it, I also got the NYC subway APP and along with a map of the city we got from our hotel we managed to master the subway in a day or 2. The only cab we took was to and from the airport. I was so impressed by the subway it really is the backbone of the city and is one of the reasons I think NY is the best city in the world. First timers don't be afraid and ask questions until u get the hang of it

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR New York first timers aug 26 - sept 2

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR New York first timers aug 26 - sept 2

So about the first part, stuffed that up real good

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR New York first timers aug 26 - sept 2

OMG, that is only the first day?!? Can't wait to hear the rest. Am am also wishing I was 29 so as to have so much energy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR New York first timers aug 26 - sept 2

Don't worry about that - keep it coming please!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR New York first timers aug 26 - sept 2

Yes, please keep telling us about what you and your lovely new wife did on the NYC part of your honeymoon.

I wanted to quip about the doubling up on your Day 1 post but I left it alone....

There is a Preview Button and an Edit button for checking your posts before sending them out in the big wide e-world..but no biggie!

Edited: 5:24 pm, September 19, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR New York first timers aug 26 - sept 2

Day 2 - so we slept in a bit and got up at about 10 ish and made our way to the American museum of natural history, this was my choice the mrs was not excited about coming here I liked it especially the dinosaurs, the whale and the journey to the stars show she found it all a bit boring, overall we stayed about 3 hours and I think that was enough to see the major things after that we made our way to grand central station, the buildings in NY are just huge and until your in them u can't appreciate just how big they are, very impressive. We then walked up to NYC Library another grand building didn't stay long but glad we went inside. We then did a bit of shopping, I think it was around the 5th avenue area and then headed back to the hotel to freshin up before dinner. We mostly ate at restaurants along 9th avenue as it was close to our hotel and there seemed to be a lot of variety in a small area. We ate at five napkin burger, wow it was great this was my first of many burgers on our US trip and I love how they ask how you want your pattie cooked medium, medium/rare in Aus they over cook them all the time anyway it was tender and delicious.

I forgot to mention on the way to the museum we bought sunset tickets for that evening for top of the rock so after dinner we walked there. It was a little cloudy but the view was spectacular, it's amazing seeing Central Park from that perspective such a massive area smack bang in the middle of a city, unbelievable. The view of the Empire State Building and downtown was equally impressive so we stayed for about 30 mins before it started to rain a little so we left. By the time we got to the bottom the rain had eased so we decided to walk through Times Square on our way home. The bright lights were great but not somewhere I would want to spend too much time it was so busy with tourists and a lot of colurful characters wanting money for photos, that ended another busy day, back to bed.

10. Re: TR New York first timers aug 26 - sept 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:27 pm, September 19, 2013
Edited: 6:27 pm, September 19, 2013