We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinery help, please and thank you!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Itinery help, please and thank you!

Me and my mum are visiting New York 26th September - 1st October. I am trying to arrange things, so we visit things we want to see while we are in one area, rather than keep going back on ourselves!

We arrive on 26th at around 3.30pm, so will find our way to our hotel and just get our bearings that evening, I think. We are staying at Comfort Inn, Manhattan.

We have a cruise tour booked, but not for any particular day. We will see the Statue of Liberty from this boat and don't think we need to go to any closer. Maybe we should?

Other things we want to see :-

Central Park - I see there is a pedicab tour for an hour or so. This would be ideal as my mum, although can walk, would enjoy it much more if she could view whilst being driven! Is this tour ok to do and suit that need?

Metropolitan Museum - go on the roof terrace

Rockafeller Centre/Empire State Building - Mum wants to go up both. One day and one night. Which is the best to do when?

World Trade Centre Memorial - I see we can book tickets but have to specify a day. Would any of the above sites fit in with this in terms of location?

Brooklyn Bridge - still undecided whether to go over it or just see it. Any views on whether this should be done, how to do, please?

Washington - This is my mum's first and probably only trip to NYC. She wants to go to Washington for the day. We are probably going to do this on the Monday before we leave on the Tuesday. I am happy to go along, and we know its a long day. Can anyone recommend whether we go by train or bus? I am more keen on train as I think it will be quicker but then wonder about a tour.

Basically we need an itinery for Friday, Saturday and Sunday with the above places to see, except for Washington, and the best way to go about it so we don't go in opposite directions when we shouldnt have done!! I plan to go to see Mamma Mia at the Winter Garden theatre on Sunday evening, and we are going to watch Norwich City in action at around 8.30am on the Sunday morning, although, as yet, unsure of the venue. We will shop a bit but are not fussed on spending time in stores.

Sorry, I know I have asked alot of questions and probably confused everyone! Any help you can offer, I would be very, very grateful.

Monkey6870

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinery help, please and thank you!

I think you need to put some things down on paper - give yourself a column for each day and put down what you know - which right now is just the Mamma Mia show - (and watching the Norwich City game on Sunday morning (is there somewhere to do that Sunday morning?) ) and work with a map - either Google Maps or a physical map.

Then look at the map and get a notion of where things are, and pencil in the itinerary until it works out. Voila!

I think if you are happy to get a view from the cruise of the SOL there is no need to go to the Statue itself - if you are not really keen, no need to take up a few hours doing that.

If you are happy just seeing the Brooklyn Bridge (again, no right or wrong) you will likely see it from your cruise. If you would like to walk it, it would be easy to combine with your 9/11 Memorial visit.

The Met and Central Park are a natural fit together.

The common wisdom here is to see Top of the Rock during the day/dusk, and the Empire State Building at night. Our family, not knowing any better, did the exact opposite and was completely happy with it. Top of the Rock is very close to your theatre, but the ESB is just a short train ride away. Very easy to do either before or after your theatre night.

I hope that helps a bit - just start laying it out on paper - it won't be so overwhelming that way. Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 9:59 am, September 11, 2013
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinery help, please and thank you!

You are a star, mcwhippet, and thank you for replying. I guess it would have been obvious to write it down on paper!

We are a bit late organising ourselves as we have had some personal family stuff going on and its all caught up with us so quickly.

And, yes, apparently there is somewhere you can watch Norwich City. We are in touch with New York Canaries, and the venue is released a week before. Its either the Football Factory or George Keeleys (I think thats the name). If it was bang in the middle of the day, we wouldn't have worried, but as it is a lunchtime UK kick-off, that makes it morning NYC time, so we can cheer on our team before our day starts!

I will do what you have recommended. Thank you :)

Monkey6870

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinery help, please and thank you!

Another question to add to the above, if you don't mind, is if I go to the Winter Garden theatre to see Mamma Mia, mum isn't too keen on going, which is fine with me. Are there shops etc. nearby where she can maybe mooch about while I am in the threatre for maybe 2 hours? Seeing as Top of the Rock is near the theatre, we could go up there in the dark once I come out of the theatre.

I know my questions are rather wide open, but any help you can give, I would really appreciate :)

Monkey 6870

edinburgh
Level Contributor
221 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinery help, please and thank you!

Monkey

Brooklyn bridge is a brilliant walk. Well worth doing and seeing. You get a brilliant view from Brooklyn and can easily hop on the subway back over to city hall.

I would buy a 7 day subway pass which is great value. $30. Very easy to get around and very safe. But I would also say that simply wandering and taking in the incredible city is an experience on it's own! Just wear comfy shoes.

I would also recommend the High Line which is brilliant.

I would also get to the museum early as it is very very busy!

enjoy.

edinstu.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
12,934 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinery help, please and thank you!

Mamma Mia is on or near 7th Ave. Most of the big stores are just across town on Fifth & Rock Center is on 5th. So, you can go see your show, have mom do her shopping & agree to meet somewhere in Rock Center.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinery help, please and thank you!

Discount tickets via Goldstar are available now for your date - 29 Sept?

www.goldstar.com/events/new-york-ny/mamma-mia

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinery help, please and thank you!

Thank you Jenny. That's much appreciated!

Monkey6870

8. Re: Itinery help, please and thank you!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, September 14, 2013
9. Re: Itinery help, please and thank you!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 16, 2014