We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel n itinerary

Singapore
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Solo travel n itinerary

Hi I will b travelling alone, staying at Quality Inn LIC.

I will b reaching JFK at about 8pm. Is it safe to take subway n walk to hotel? Or is it safer to take taxi?

Also if I go to Manhattan the next day, any recommended time that I should b back? Or generally is it safe in LIC to walk alone at night?

Btw I intend to go Top of Rock, fifth ave, Madison ave,, empire state of building n time square on a sat. Any recommended order I should follow? Is Century21 out of way?

And on sun I have time til 4pm n would like to take Staten ferry to view STatue of Liberty, Wall St, 911 memorial n a short walk at Brooklyn bridge. Is it doable?

Thanks in advance!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,143 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel n itinerary

It's safe on the subway and then walking to the hotel. Depends on how far it is. LIC is also safe at night, which hotel is it?

Go to TOTR at sunset if you can, the view is beautiful as the sun sets and the lights come on. There is a Century 21 near Lincoln Center as well as Lower Manhattan. Lower Manhattan would probably be the closest.

You'll be able to do all your Sunday schedule, easy. Maybe start in Brooklyn and walk across the bridge to Manhattan for the better views then do SI ferry then go back to Wall St and 911 Memorial. If you have tickets for the 911 Memorial, work the day around that though.

Singapore
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel n itinerary

I m staying at Quality Inn Long Island City. Seems to be a 7min walk n from google map it seems safe, walking along main rd but just that I m worry it might b dark n quiet at night..

I would love to go TOTR at sunset but I guess it might b crowded.. intending to go in the morning to skip the crowd..

Guess I will go Century21 on sun during my trip to Manhattan..

Thanks!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,826 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travel n itinerary

Here is your hotel on the map: http://goo.gl/maps/9vRlC

You actually have a choice of several subway stations (the blue M on the map,)

The closest is the 39th Ave stop of the N and Q Trains (this station is above ground, just about 2 blocks from your hotel)

The next is the Queens Plaza stop of the E M and R (this station is underground)

The third is the Queensboro Plaza stop of the N Q and 7 (This station is above ground)

Familiarize yourself with the subway map and choose your train depending on where your destination is. Subway map here: http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html (Many of these trains will get you walking distance to most of the sights. Otherwise transfers are pretty simple.)

The area around the second and third stations is a bit more industrial and near streets that feed traffic into the 59th Street bridge 24/7. I recommend you walk the route to the Queens/Queensboro Plaza area when you head out one morning to get a feel for the route, so you will be more oriented for walking it at night if you come back on any of the trains other than the N/Q.

Take or transfer to the N/Q to 39th Ave to get closest to home.

At the upper right there is a link to a "how do I ride the Subway FAQ" which I highly recommend you read, as it will give you all the info. you need to plan your routes with confidence.

Cape Town Central...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travel n itinerary

HI. I'm arriving in NY on 1 October 2013. when will you be there? i'm looking for a travel partner for the one day only before i leave for the Caribbean.

Singapore
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo travel n itinerary

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the 1.5days in NYC.

Hi Thys, nope I will nt b in NYC on 1oct. Enjoy ur stay too!

6. Re: Solo travel n itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, September 12, 2014