We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's in NY?

Newark
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Must do's in NY?

Going to New York for anniversary...I would love to know places that are a must see, things that are a must do, places that are a must eat, best places to grab a drink for late thirty/ early 40 somethings.....any jazz bars? comedy clubs?...thinking about Stomp, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Grand Central......is there any maps for subway/ rail lines...have done cabs in Philly prefer to avoid....any thoughts on Cacao Prieto, Red Hook Winery? any helpful hints, suggestions, recommendations greatly appreciated

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do's in NY?

Go to the MTA website for maps of the subway or here is a link: http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

As for must dos, NYC has so much to do that you need to decide that. Look at the list of questions to the right of this post for help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,469 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do's in NY?

And, a guidebook.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do's in NY?

The forum's Top Questions sections will get you started thinking about the range of things you could do.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do's in NY?

My best tips for seeing NYC I included in a blog I wrote while we were there.... see if it gets you started.....

WONDERFUL suggestions from people if you click on the links to the far right of your screen...

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

Have a great trip.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do's in NY?

This question comes up a lot. The usual answer is to have a look at the links on the right, guide books, NYC websites and even the itineraries of other people on the forum and then create your own basic itinerary.

You can then post it on the forum and the experts on here will let you know if you can fit more and/ or have too much crammed in for each day.

We have no idea of your budget, tastes, likes, dislikes etc so it’s impossible for us to give you suggestions at this stage as everyone will have a different opinion. It's best to do a bit of research and then get clarification here.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
564 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do's in NY?

Highlights for us were Central Park, 9/11 Memorial, St Paul's Chapel and seeing a show on Broadway....

Not to mention just strolling the streets!! We loved Times Square at night with all the lights etc...The hop on hop off bus that took us over the Brooklyn Bridge in the night was beautiful too..

WE CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!!!!!!!

LCY
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do's in NY?

I would suggest grabbing a copy of Timeout New York the second you get into town. These are published weekly and offer listings of all the great shows and musicals, art exhibitions, etc. The Timeout guidebook for New York is also good. Some of the other top places to visit other than those you mentioned would be a walk through Central Park, a walk on the High Line or Brooklyn Bridge and to see one of the world famous museums, such as the MOMA, Whitney, Guggenheim or Metropolitan.

The subway is truly easy to navigate and it's very easy to get all over Manhattan either on the train or by cab. Cabs are cheap and everywhere.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do's in NY?

Comedy Cellar is fantastic

http://www.comedycellar.com/

You need to make a reservation and it's a 2 drink minimum. I've been to quite a few comedy places and this one is consistently great.

Catch the East River Ferry from 34th St down to the Brooklyn Bridge ($4) and then walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Amazing views of the city skyline, and great to go under all the bridges. Either day or night is good, depending on the view you want, lights or sunshine.

My favourite musicals are Jersey Boys and Book of Mormon (this one is hilarious but very offensive!)

Edited: 9:12 am, September 05, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do's in NY?

We are heading to NY next weekend.

We have booked tickets to Vanguard Jazz, which perform at the Village Vanguard on Monday nights. If you're interested in seeing some of Brooklyn and Coney Island and tasting some good pizza, they you could look at the Slice of Brooklyn Pizza Tour. We've booked that too. 4 hours going around Brooklyn, seeing the sights with stop-offs at two pizza places including Grimaldi's (well known).

If you're taking an ipad/ iphone with you, then you can get the subway maps in an app. I also have timeout NY on an app.

Enjoy your trip!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must do's in NY?

**including Grimaldi's (well known)**

Well known doesn't necessarily equate to great pizza.