We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return flight proving to be a pain in the neck

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Return flight proving to be a pain in the neck

Hi all!

I'm planning an 8 night trip to NYC from Glasgow around the 31st of March 2014. I've been checking on Expedia and have come up with some pretty good deals but the return flight arrive back into LHR and the connecting flight back up to GLA is from LGW. I've checked flights from EDI too but they all seem to be the same. Flights are with BA.

The price is right (between 1000 and 1150 per person for flights and accomm) but having to get from LHR to LGW will be added expense, not to mention a hassle at the end of the journey.

Does anyone know of anyway I can get a similarly priced package with the return flight going JFK-LHR-GLA rather than JFK - LHR - LGW- GLA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Return flight proving to be a pain in the neck

have a look at kayak.com and

skyscanner.co.uk

Edited: 6:14 am, September 04, 2013
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,897 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return flight proving to be a pain in the neck

LGW is Gatwick. So similar to those who have to make a JFK-EWR connection in the NY area.

Have you looked into returning home from EWR rather than JFK?

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Return flight proving to be a pain in the neck

There is nonstop service into Newark on United to / from Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I would avoid the LHR / LGW transfer at all costs.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Return flight proving to be a pain in the neck

Thanks for replying!

I hadn't thought about going in to EWR but a direct flight would definitely be preferable! Is it easy enought to get a transfer into the city from EWR? I've been engrossed in this forum for weeks trying to get all the ins and outs as, although it's not my first time in NYC, it would be the first time I was going to use the Airtrain and subway to get in. Can I still use that method of transfer or would it be better to get a taxi?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Return flight proving to be a pain in the neck

Newark (EWR) is also connected to NYC by train so the transfer is similar to that from JFK. You take the AirTrain from the terminal to a connecting NJ transit train or a PATH train depending on where your final destination is in NYC. If you want door to door service, a car service like

dial7.com

allstatelimo.com

is preferable to a taxi from Newark since you're crossing state lines. The car service will be slightly cheaper than a taxi (~$75 including tolls and a tip for the driver)

Edited: 8:33 am, September 04, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Return flight proving to be a pain in the neck

NYWHIZ, thanks so much for the information. I've checked the flights and it works out just a economical to fly direct from GLA into EWR so now I'm going to look into tranferring into the city using the Airtrain and onward trains.

This forum is so friendly and helpful!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Return flight proving to be a pain in the neck

We flew in December 2011 direct from Glasgow into Newark (doing again in December) and the flight is great times as you arrive at lunchtime and still have the rest of the day to get your holiday started. We booked a car to collect us from the airport (there were 4 adults and a 2 year old) and take us to our hotel on 7th Avenue as it was easier for us with cases and a buggy. The flight was United and the service and meals were good.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Return flight proving to be a pain in the neck

AirTrain Newark / NJ Transit is $12.50. Trains are fast and frequent. It is all very safe, easy, well-marked, and very user-friendly.

The trip takes under an hour from the terminal (after you've cleared Immigration and Customs Enforcement) into New York Penn Station.

Go ahead and fly United nonstop Glasgow or Edinburgh to Newark - the flights are excellent and the Audio Video On Demand is top of the line.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Return flight proving to be a pain in the neck

Thank you so much. LAFB29, I've flown United before and thought they were great (although my previous flight was with KLM and they totally spoiled us - I was shocked!)

MoreFFmiles - thanks for the info. I definitely think this is the way to go so as soon as I'm able to book up, it'll be going into EWR for sure.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Return flight proving to be a pain in the neck

I agree with you about KLM - best airline I have flown with thus far