We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary: September 14th - 20th and a few q's!

Belfast, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Help with itinerary: September 14th - 20th and a few q's!

Hello myself and my boyfriend will be travelling to JFK from Dublin next Saturday!!! (14th Sept) time is flying by and I am trying to have a itinerary of sorts made ASAP :) Would love to hear your thoughts on what I have planned as far and also some questions throughout and below.

We land at 13:15 on the Saturday and our hotel is the hotel avalon on 16 E 32nd St. At first I was planning of doing the AirTrain and saving some $$$ but my boyfriend is reluctant on lugging our suitcases and hand luggage around a mahoosive city with possible hot temps and getting lost so we have decided on getting a car service to our hotel and getting our own way back to JFK on the Friday. I haven't booked this any recs on what car service is best and affordable?

Soooo day one: sat - tired from travelling, land at 13:15, get car to hotel and stay around the Times Square and surrounding area perhaps do grand central, UN buildings, get our bearing and walk to Times Square in the evening. I know it is a tourist trap and dining wont be grade a or anything but have dinner somewhere hear was thinking virgils BBQ or ruby tuesday etc.. This evening will just be to soak up the atmosphere, probably have an early night due to travelling

Day two Sunday and my birthday :) was thinking having a traditional American breakfast with pancakes or waffles or something. Had my heart set on Normas at the le Parker meridian but the prices are high and some reviews are average..any thoughts on this? Or somewhere similar and good for a birthday breakfast? Afterwards stroll into Central Park to work off the food baby ha, then hit fifth avenue for birthday shopping till they close at 6

Any ideas for birthday dinner? I was thinking tolache? noting we don't like sushi or seafood.

Afterwards go up the Rockefeller centre

Day three: Monday : take the subway to the 9/11 memorial (making reservations online for this for around 10am, do the Staten Island ferry, St. Paul's chapel and walk the Brooklyn bridge, perhaps have dinner in Brooklyn? grimaldis?

Day four: Tuesday : make a 10am meet up for the all in one downtown tour which lasts till 4pm finishes on the high line and chelsea was thinking maybe the cookshop for dinner

That is really as far as I have got :( struggling to put together the rest of our days. Other things I want to cover are Empire State Building, museum of natural history, Coney Island, southern seaport. I was thinking perhaps doing two walking tours instead of the all in one and doing uptown/downtown on different days.

Any tips on condensing this down into two full days and one half day as our flight is a red eye on the Friday night!

Thanks in advance

Any comments would be appreciated!

Belfast, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary: September 14th - 20th and a few q's!

Oh and also any supermarkets/grocery stores near the avalon to pick up supplies as we are self catering and would like some breakfast basics to save eating out all the time

Belfast, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary: September 14th - 20th and a few q's!

Oh and also any supermarkets/grocery stores near the avalon to pick up supplies as we are self catering and would like some breakfast basics to save $$$

UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary: September 14th - 20th and a few q's!

Hi there

Here are a few suggestions that I hope help!

I've found getting a yellow taxi outside the airport easier than arranging a car service.

It costs $60 plus toll and tip (from memory - a local/expert can confirm), a car service won't be any/much cheaper.

Once you've arrived at your hotel - explore Grand Central, Chrysler, UN

I've never been to Virgils BBQ or Ruby Tuesdays but Virgils BBQ has quite good reviews on here.

There is also Johns Pizzeria http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/ and Carmines http://www.carminesnyc.com/ that you might like?

Then you are in Times Square for more exploring.

Depending on how much time you have left and if you have the energy, on the way back to the hotel you could visit the Empire State Building. I think its nice to do this when you first arrive and to see the city all lit up. Plus the later you go, the less queues!!

Sunday

Try Sarabeths (Park Avenue South location) sarabethsrestaurants.com/park-avenue-south

or

Penelopes penelopenyc.com/Penelope-NYC-Breakfast.html

for your birthday pancakes/waffles.

On your way to Central Park you can go to the Rockefeller Center for Top of the Rock as its best to see it during the day as you can't see Central Park at night from up there and its great to see it.

The American Museum of Natural History is by the park on the West side and you could go to Shake Shack on your way for burgers www.shakeshack.com/location/upper-west-side/ for late lunch/early dinner.

Monday - I'd start at the Staten Island ferry and then go St Paul's, 9/11 memorial, Wall Street (NY Stock Exchange). South Street Seaport is also in this area.

You need to get to City Hall for the Brooklyn Bridge entrance.

Depending on how early you start your day, this may only take you up to lunchtime so once you are in Brooklyn you could get the subway to Coney Island or get a water taxi back to Manhattan and spend the afternoon in Soho and/or Greenwich Village. Greenwich Village is a must-see on a visit to NY.

What areas does the downtown tour cover as you would have already spent Monday morning seeing some of downtown? Definitely worth visiting the Highline though.

You may not need another walking tour as you would have covered a fair bit of Uptown by going through the park too etc. Really depends on what your interests are and what you'd like to see.

Hope you have a great trip!

UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary: September 14th - 20th and a few q's!

PS look out for a Duane Reade store near your hotel for some supplies! I know its a pharmacy but they usually sell some food, drinks, snacks etc.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary: September 14th - 20th and a few q's!

A yellow taxi is $52 plus tolls and tip so around $65-70

dial7 , all state and carmel are the recommended car services on this forum

Belfast, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary: September 14th - 20th and a few q's!

Thanks for your help! If i did ferry before 9/11 memorial how long should I allow for this say I got ferry round 9 what time could I book memorial for?

7. Re: Help with itinerary: September 14th - 20th and a few q's!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:53 am, October 02, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary: September 14th - 20th and a few q's!

Grimaldi's is eh. Agree that it is a tourist trap and I also agree that there is better brick oven pizza and food in that part of Brooklyn. In Boerum Hill on Court Street, Sam's Restaurant has very good brick oven pizza and good Italian food.

Edited: 2:16 pm, September 03, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary: September 14th - 20th and a few q's!

The Staten Island Ferry takes about 25 mins each way but you have to catch the ferry straight back so means rushing round the ferry terminal otherwise you've got another 25 minute wait in Staten Island for the next ferry. My husband and I missed the ferry straight back but friends have ours made it, they said they ran fast!! And you need to be first off the ferry when it arrives at Staten Island. Then you need to allow time to get to the 9/11 memorial. I had a look on hopstop and it looks like a 10 minute walk from Whitehall Terminal. Locals/experts will be able to confirm.

Belfast, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with itinerary: September 14th - 20th and a few q's!

Great info about the ferry!

Any recs for great pizza in brooklyn?

Also bf wants to do Katz deli what area is it in and what day could I fit that in?

We are concerned were lacking night activities; things to do after dinner were not really into the idea of a broadway show any other ideas?