We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gantry Plaza State Park to Brooklyn Bridge

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Gantry Plaza State Park to Brooklyn Bridge

I am planning a 10 day first-time visit to New York in October and the more I research, the more I wish I could stay MUCH longer!

A thought for one day is to catch a morning East River Ferry to Long Island (we are staying in Murray Hill so should be convenient) and walk up to Gantry Plaza State Park to look back on Manhattan.

At the other end of the day we want to spend time in Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO before walking back over the bridge, possibly as the lights start to show.

As we will have a few hours in the middle of the day, I would love suggestions for places to visit between Long Island and Brooklyn Heights, or perhaps the most scenic/interesting route between the two. We are happy to do lots of walking but will also have a 7-day subway card.

We are interested in galleries, museums and architecture and being immersed into the district experience. BTW, we are a 50+ Aussie couple

Many thanks for this fabulous forum, my planning has been based around recommendations from here!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gantry Plaza State Park to Brooklyn Bridge

mmmmm....that's an interesting question...I would go on a bus uptown to 59th and go on the aerial tram to Roosevelt Island and enjoy the amazing FDR Four Freedoms Memorial Park at the southern tip...great piece of landscape architecture by Louis Kahan.

Then I woud go on the subway to Queens and walk, bus or subway to Gantry Park...might be the same views (ish) as from RI....

then take the ferry and if you like, stop at both or either Green Point or Williamsburg and then head down to Brooklyn Bridge.....don't miss Jane's Carousel on the promenade at DUMBO and don't do this trip on a Tuesday as the Carousel and FDR Park are closed. And given you're interested in architecture, you might also be interested in design and construction, so if you don't already know the story of the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge, then read up about it before hand and don't miss the plaque to Emily Warren Roebling when you walk over the bridge.

for info about Green Point and Williamsburg see the Not for Tourists website for NYC as a start.

Edited: 3:32 am, August 25, 2013
2. Re: Gantry Plaza State Park to Brooklyn Bridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 27, 2014