We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon - Christmas in New York 2014

Rockhampton...
2 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon - Christmas in New York 2014

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting married in September 2014 and am just about to start planning our honeymoon which will be 3 weeks in New York for Christmas (leaving before New Year's). This will be my first trip to the USA and I'm not sure how much I should allow for in my budget. We would like to rent an apartment for the entire 3 weeks and do all the usual New York/Christmas stuff - Rockefeller Centre, Statue of Liberty, Ice Skating, Broadway, Nutcracker Ballet, The Rockettes, FAO Schwartz, Macy's, Guggenheim, Holidays Lights Tour, sports events, etc.

If anyone could give me a basic idea of how much I should budget for I would be really grateful. If there are any other events/sights that I should factor into the trip, I'd love to hear about them!

Thanks in advance!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon - Christmas in New York 2014

Hi there and welcome to the TA forums!

Just a quick heads up - you may not realize it yet - but most apartment rentals in NYC for under 30 days are illegal. Read the third bulleted item under "Top Questions about NYC". So look for a hotel instead. Good news - there is such a great range of every hotel imaginable - you will find a great fit for a honeymoon.

So think about what you want from a honeymoon hotel - do some reading of reviews, and take a look at prices, and we can give some suggestions within your budget. Its too far out to get prices for Dec 2014, but plug in a date for December of this year, and it will give you an idea of what to expect, then you can go from there.

As far as us giving you suggestions for budget - it's really difficult to do as you can do NYC on a small to a deluxe budget. Start by taking a look at hotels, also price out some of the attractions you are interested in. Hotels will be expensive, but great food can be had at all price ranges, so you can economize there if you need to.

Happy planning!

2. Re: Honeymoon - Christmas in New York 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, June 30, 2014
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,376 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon - Christmas in New York 2014

There are a number of hotels that provide apartment style accommodations. NYWhiz frequently suggests a U.K. agency that has good prices for a number of the legit options: Apartments2Book.com

Some other options include RadioCityApts.com, the suites (not inn rooms) at ChelseaLodge.com. Affinia.com has a number of apartment style hotels. Also look at the Beacon Hotel and Murray Hill East Suites (though they may book only through agencies these days)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon - Christmas in New York 2014

Depending on availability, you might be able to get discounts a bit closer to your date for your performing arts events. If you're not particular about where you want to sit, consider joining the discount clubs (free) on TheaterMania & Playbill and the e-mail list on Broadway Box. Discounts are usually released about a month before performance but some release tickets sooner. You'll get tons of discount offers when you join but you'll be sure to be among the 1st to see the discounts.

5. Re: Honeymoon - Christmas in New York 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 02, 2015