We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Day Wedding 2014 - Ladies' Pavilion, Central Park

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Day Wedding 2014 – Ladies' Pavilion, Central Park

Hello

It's been great to read all the info on this site about New York, it's really helpful for prospective travelers like myself. I just have a couple of queries/questions and would love to hear any advice anyone can give.

My fiancé and I first traveled to New York City (from the UK) in December 2010 for my 30th birthday. We fell in love with it so much we've decided to get married there on New Year's Day 2014.

We will be getting married in the Ladies' Pavilion in Central Park by Rev Alison. We have parents and friends coming with us, 11 of us in total, so not a large party. We have a reasonable budget (certainly not looking to do anything on a shoestring), we're hoping to book at the River Cafe for dinner in the evening and are waiting to see if it will re-open in time.

We understand it will be cold as when we visited before there had been a freak snowstorm of 20 inches overnight and it was so very cold, we're well prepared for this!

Basically, our main questions are:

1. Does anyone have any clarification about whether we need an extended marriage license or not? We've read mixed comments on this. It would be good to hear some comments from people from the UK who have been married in NY recently. This is more a query based on time really as we fly home the day after we get married.

2. We get married at 1pm and we intend to do some photography straight after (luckily one of our guests is a photographer), some with family and then go off on our own to do some around Manhattan for a couple of hours. Can anyone recommend somewhere we can take our guests while we go off? Our hotel is Morgans in midtown and most of our guests are staying in that area. We considered the Boathouse, would I need to make a reservation or do they have an informal lounge where guests can order snacks and drinks as they wish? Any other suggestions are welcome as there will be some hours to fill before dinner.

3. We loved River Cafe when we went for my birthday but if we can't get in can anyone suggest something similar? Something in the same price range and style as River Cafe.

4. We didn't stay to see the New Year in on our last trip so I have no idea what to expect on New Year's Eve in New York. Any suggestions on what to do on New Year's Eve would be great too. A bar with snacks/food, drinks and music would be what we're looking for, something within 30 mins walking distance from our hotel, budget flexible and happy to book something in advance.

We are sorted for photography, hair and make-up, flowers and have a recommendation for a limo company for on the day, we're going to get the permit for the Ladies Pavilion as soon as it becomes available to do so online and we will be doing our marriage license application online ahead of time but if anyone has any other advice, something we've not thought of I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Sarah

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Day Wedding 2014 – Ladies' Pavilion, Central Park

I keep thinking that Mme Tussaud's would be a great place to hang out with your full wedding party. You can take pictures with the wax figures and really confuse the folks back home.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,929 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Day Wedding 2014 – Ladies' Pavilion, Central Park

1) I think you need the extended license for the UK but it does require going back there (I think). Have you seen this guide done by someone else from the UK?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6032001…

2) For drinks only, you can't make a reservation at the Boat House. There are stools around the bar as well as some comfortable club chairs behind the stools. I don't think they serve food at the bar, but I'm not sure. If they want to eat, you may be able to make a reservation for a table. Waiting for a table for 9 without a reservation could take forever.

You don't say how long your guests will have been in NYC by the time you get married, but sending them on a private tour might be a really nice idea.

onboardtours.com

would do a private tour or you could hire a private guide or bus or limo who could take them wherever.

3) The only thing that comes close to River Cafe would be a dinner cruise like

bateauxnewyork.com

The food isn't as good but the changing view is nice and there's the added benefit of dancing which you don't get at River Cafe.

The only way to get views of Manhattan like that is on the water or looking back from either New Jersey or Brooklyn or Queens. The Chart House in Weehawken, New Jersey has great views but the food isn't as good. It's been a while but the food at the restaurant at the Hyatt in Jersey City was good and there's a nice view there that includes a bit of the Statue of Liberty.

4) Such a hard question. You don't need to be in walking distance of the hotel as the subways runs all night. You might want to go to the fireworks in Central Park at midnight. I'd go to a local restaurant for dinner and then to the fireworks but if you want a place with food and music, I can't really help. There are a bunch of Irish pubs along 3rd ave. in the 30's that might work.

I would PHONE about the permit for Ladies Pavilion. Get it before it goes online.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Day Wedding 2014 – Ladies' Pavilion, Central Park

Hello

Thanks for all your comments that's great.

I had read the thread from Colonel_Rafiki but was confused as I'd read this below on the comments list from YorkYorkiegirl.

'Must say that I subsequently learnt that the extended copy of the marriage certificate is not really necessary for the uk. Which means you do not need to do all the running around for the apostille and could just get short copies which can all be done at the clerk's office.'

We fly home the day after we get married so it would be good to have some clarification as we are short on time.

We all arrive in NY on 28th December at various times and leave on 2nd January, early evening.

Thanks for the info on NYE, I didn't realise the subways would be running. Can you recommend anywhere local to us for dinner? We had been recommended 230 Fifth, do you know if it's any good?

Sarah

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,929 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Day Wedding 2014 – Ladies' Pavilion, Central Park

For New Year's Eve, without an idea of type of food, budget, type of place, whether you'd like to go to the fireworks after.... it's impossible to make a suggestion. 230 Fifth will likely be expensive on NYE and will have a party atmosphere which may be exactly what you want.

Can't help on the certificate issue. Have you read this?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6040710…

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,625 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Day Wedding 2014 – Ladies' Pavilion, Central Park

You should ask your equivalent of the clerk's office in the UK what you need to bring back with you. That's the proper place to get a definitive answer.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Day Wedding 2014 – Ladies' Pavilion, Central Park

Thanks Brooklyn Bridge, will try that. Thanks nywhiz, I'd not read that one.

We're definitely up for something with a party atmosphere, so drinks, nibbles and dancing but we would also consider a dinner before going to fireworks in the park too. Budget-wise I'd say most of our group would be looking to pay no more than $150-200 per person. Food-wise, anything would go, we love all types of cuisine.

Thanks

Sarah

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Day Wedding 2014 – Ladies' Pavilion, Central Park

Hi Sarah, first congratulations to you, I am also due to get married at Ladies Pavillion in 9 days time! We also have a smaller wedding of 12 people but what we are doing is sending our guests on a mini tour of the city on a trolley bus (which we've hired) for an hour or so whilst we get our photos taken. We are stocking up the bus with alcohol and we are creating a playlist on an iPod for the bus (plenty of NYC themed songs!)

We got engaged in NYC a couple of years back and went to The River Cafe for a meal to celebrate!

We have friends who have married in NYC and my partner has quizzed them and thoroughly researched the wedding licence stuff, I beleive she has paid for the one which is around $35, I'm not sure if that is the extended one or not. When I get home from work later today I will ask and reply once more, as I say we are getting married very soon so we are pretty up to speed on the process.

Happy planning and don't get too stressed!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
11 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Day Wedding 2014 – Ladies' Pavilion, Central Park

Thanks Rob :)

Wow that's not long now! That's a really good idea, who did you book that with if you don't mind me asking?If you could sk her that would be great. Our officiant said she's never heard of anyone having to travel to different buildings to get the extended version in the 15 years she's been marrying people from the UK so I'm still very confused.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year's Day Wedding 2014 – Ladies' Pavilion, Central Park

The subways never stop running unless there is an emergency situation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Year's Day Wedding 2014 – Ladies' Pavilion, Central Park

Hi Sarah, congratulations! Can you tell me how it all was? After having a completely rubbish NYE in blighty we've decided NY is the only place to go, and we also want to get married on NYEve...or is that crazy because there will be road closures etc. for the fireworks in Times Square???!!! I'll put up a separate post as well :)