We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the beaten track in NYC

Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Off the beaten track in NYC

We are going to spending a few days in NYC seeing all the main tourist attractions and sites. I would also like to try and get off the beaten track and get a feel for where the NYC folk hang out and things they do. Any recommendations on these types of places to go and see?

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off the beaten track in NYC

I'm sure some NYC experts will chime in, but my suggestion is to get out of midtown, particularly Times Square..... go to a church, Lincoln Center, Central Park, Riverside Park, Roosevelt Island, Brooklyn Promenade..... there are so many EASY access places to go in order to NOT be jostled by other tourists.

We had a terrific month there last October and had LOTS of those experiences and they were truly the BEST!

I posted photos and notes when we were there:

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful visit to NYC.

Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off the beaten track in NYC

Thanks Ginnym, I am also going to be there in October. We are really looking forward to the trip. The problem is that there is just so much that we want to see and do.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off the beaten track in NYC

Hi I would say walk the High Line. It's great for sights and you get to meet the locals. I've been to New York a few times now and it's one of the best things I've done.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
13,368 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Off the beaten track in NYC

Visit Queens via the 7 train …about.com/od/thingtodo/ss/7-subway-tour.htm (I recommend that you take the train all the way out to Flushing - it is an elevated train an the view can be interesting - and then work your way back alternating walking with hops on the train.)

Visit Brighton Beach / Coney Island http://www.coneyisland.com/ (Be aware the October hours for Coney are shorter.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_Beach

Visit Staten Island http://www.visitstatenisland.com/

Visit the Cloisters / Fort Tryon Park / Inwood www.metmuseum.org/visit/visit-the-cloisters en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inwood,_Manhattan

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off the beaten track in NYC

As a lifelong New Yorker, I'd say that you need to get out of much of Manhattan if you want to see how we really live. The High Line? I can't move on the High Line for the tourists.

Kaye has the right idea. Take the N train to Astoria. Take the 7 train to Jackson Heights or Flushing. For Brooklyn, go to Carroll Gardens and Park Slope, Prospect Park and the Botanical Gardens. Take the A train allllll the way to 190th Street to walk around cute up-the-hill Washington Heights and see the Cloisters.

One thing to understand about NYC is that the real estate prices in the touristed areas - basically, Manhattan below 72nd Street - have gotten so high that the only people who can live there are the super-rich, the subsidized poor and the elderly who've been in their apartments for at least 20 years. That presents a really weird society.

But it's completely not true for the rest of the city! Come out to Queens and we have the working class from all over the world, shopping next to young American professionals and Irish families. The Brooklyn neighborhoods I pointed out to you are full of families, and then if you go deeper into Brooklyn - Brighton Beach, say - well, it's practically Russia out there.

New York City is so much bigger than the strange zoo of tourists and the rich that most of Manhattan has become. Explore it!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off the beaten track in NYC

Agree...get out of Manhattan and explore the outer boroughs.

Take the F train to Bergen Street in Brooklyn and hang out on Smith or Court Street. Loads of restaurants/bars/boutique shopping.

Have a drink at the Brooklyn Inn on Bergen and Hoyt Street or at the 4th Avenue Pub(Bergen St/4th Avenue.)

New York
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Off the beaten track in NYC

Only one in six New Yorkers lives in Manhattan. Most New Yorkers live in either Brooklyn or in Queens. If you want to hang out where most New Yorkers live, you need to get out of Manhattan. Go shop at the Queens Center mall, or have Chinese and Korean food in downtown Flushing, or take a walking tour of Greenwood Cemetery, or go to a Russian nightclub in Brighton Beach.

Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off the beaten track in NYC

My wife and I are super excited about this trip and will definitely head out of Manhattan. Thanks for your advice

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off the beaten track in NYC

all good advice I will be doing a LOT more in queens and brooklyn my next trip

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,963 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off the beaten track in NYC

I just got back from Queens Center Mall. It's OK, but if someone was a tourist I'd send them to the hand-pulled noodle joints and Indonesian restaurants near the Elmhurst Avenue stop instead :)