We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to CT then Metro North into NYC-wh

Hingham
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to CT then Metro North into NYC-wh

Wanted to check in with those familiar with travelling from the Boston area on a Friday afternoon - we will be leaving about noon this Friday and taking Metro North from a CT station into Grand Central (our hotel is walking distance). We would like to get into the city quickly and easily but want to be sure our car is parked safely for the weekend. From earlier (older) posts the New Haven Union Station was recommended over Stamford Station to avoid the I-95 traffic. Just called the parking garage there and they indicated that the garage can get full if for example there is a Yankees game, which there is Friday night We would arrive n New Haven about 2:30 if no traffic.

First, is the New Haven station the best option (easy to get into, easy parking, will we run into traffic and congestion in New Haven) or should we travel down I-95 a bit to a station like Milford. Milford is an unattended lot and is free for Sat and Sun. Milford is more suburban??

Second question - are we better off taking Mass Pike to 84 versus taking I-95. MapQuest indicates same travelling time but on a Friday afternoon which route will have less traffic?

Thx!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,533 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to CT then Metro North into NYC-wh

I think people recommend New Haven because it is at the end of the line.

Metro North map here: http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Parking situation varies by station.

I'm inclined to avoid I-95 whenever I can, BUT be sure to check on any possible construction work on the routes before deciding. (Last Aug I got caught on a terrible jam on the Mass Pike and then another bad jam around Hartford.) Be aware of route 15 (which begins between Hartford & New Haven) is a "parkway" without truck traffic as a possible alternative for part of the trip.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to CT then Metro North into NYC-wh

Route 15, the Wilbur Cross Parkway, won't help much if you're going to the New Haven Metro North station. It would require you to go quite a distance over local streets to get to the station. Once you get on I-91 stay on it until you reach downtown New Haven. Put New Haven Amtrak as your destination on Google maps and you'll get the detailed route.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,533 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to CT then Metro North into NYC-wh

Oh yes, I meant that you should be aware of route 15 if you wanted to go farther west to someplace like Stamford. (You might also check train schedules, I think Stamford might offer a few more choices because of the branches that meet there.)

Edited: 6:04 pm, August 07, 2013
Stamford...
Level Contributor
800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to CT then Metro North into NYC-wh

I84 through Hartford can be just as unpleasant as I95 through New Haven and Fairfield County. But as said, you'd end up having to go down to 95 anyway if you're planning on taking Metro North in Connecticut. The train tracks run right next to I95 much of the way.

On a Friday at that time of day I95 south should be heavy but not horrific, most people are northbound for the weekend. New Haven and Stamford are stops on the express trains into the city. If you don't mind taking a local train and Milford appeals to you then I don't think you need to fuss about driving that extra bit of 95 from New Haven to Milford.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to CT then Metro North into NYC-wh

Actually, if you want to go to Milford you don't have to go on I-95 at all. Take I-91 and then CT 15 to the Milford Parkway exit. Take that down to US 1 and you'll have only a short drive on local streets to the Milford Metro North Station.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,879 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to CT then Metro North into NYC-wh

I agree with the I-84 to 15 (Merritt) rec. I used to live in Boston and traveled to NYC and CT regularly. I-95 has more traffic and is just unpleasant.

The concerns about parking would make me a bit nervous as well. It will be a work day and you will be trying to park when regular commuters are still in their spots. If it's still during summer, than commuter parking should be light (a fair percentage will be on vacation).

Have you considered simply taking Amtrak all the way from Boston? Or the Amtrak Rte 128 stop if you're outside of Boston?

Another factor: What time is the game? If you are arriving way before the game, then perhaps game demand parking will not be a factor, and it will just be normal commuter parking.

Edited: 9:07 pm, August 07, 2013
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to CT then Metro North into NYC-wh

The only pleasant way to travel between New York and Boston is Amtrak.

I fly the Shuttle flights quite a bit and there are more delays than there are uneventful trips.

There are no guarantees with New Haven. I've never encountered a completely full parking lot but I have encountered plenty of traffic, congestion, crowded trains, etc.

You board Amtrak in South Station Boston and you get two seats together in exactly the position of the carriage you want (front of the train, center of the train, left side, right side, middle of the car, back of the car, etc.) and you ride to New York Penn. Nice, easy, simple.

Yes, you can save a few dollars by driving to New Haven and messing around with parking and Metro-North but at the end of the day, is the cost savings really worth it?

Hingham
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston to CT then Metro North into NYC-wh

Thanks I think we'll plan on avoiding 95. The Yankees game is at 7 so maybe we'll be okay at 3 from New Haven. Any thoughts on the Milford station for parking? Also good point about the express train if we leave from New Haven however I'm guessing there are no express trains during our target departure time since the travel times range from 105-117 minutes but a later train only takes 93 mins. Are express trains noted otherwise on the schedule?

9. Re: Boston to CT then Metro North into NYC-wh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 09, 2014