We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December itinerary - early stages

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
December itinerary - early stages

My friend (who will be 40) and I will be in NYC for 4 nights (4-9 December) and I have started an itinerary (figured being the busiest week I should try and be organised). It's in the early stages but before I continue I would be grateful for input and help with my questions. I am considering swapping some days to others (would midweek or weekend be better for some of my plans for example?). I also want to go to a show but use TKTS, and if for that I need to be at the Times Square booth when it opens at 3 then I wouldn't leave the show until Sunday as listed below (it's our last night, maybe I don't get tickets on the first go?). Though I could use the Brooklyn booth as I plan to visit Brooklyn one morning and it opens at 11. Here's where I am so far:

DAY ONE WEDS

Arrive JFK 13.40

Airtrain/Subway to Seton Hotel

ESB ? (I want to book ESB in advance but not sure if I should risk it on the day of arrival)

Dinner: to be decided

DAY TWO THURS

Breakfast: grab and go

Statue of Liberty 9am

Lunch: Luke's Lobster (flexible)

9/11 Memorial (any suggestions on the time?)

Trinity Church or St Paul's Chapel

Century 21

Dinner: to be decided

DAY THREE FRI

Breakfast: to be decided

SATC Tour 11am

Lunch: Plaza Food Hall

Central Park

Shopping: Bergdorfs, FAO, Saks, etc

Dinner: just grab something (late lunch)

Out: Lips

DAY FOUR SAT

Brooklyn

TKTS booth?

Lunch: Grimaldi's or other

Walk Brooklyn Bridge

Shopping: Macy's

Dinner: Beauty & Essex (unless I get show tickets)

Show: ?

DAY FIVE SUN

Breakfast: Grand Central, one of the bakeries

Grand Central Terminal

NY Public Library

15.00 at TKTS ?

Top of the Rock for the sunset (if I'm at TKTS this day how long will I be queuing?)

Show: ?

DAY SIX MON

No plans yet

Depart JFK 19.20

I did say it was in its early stages! I've a bunch of places I'd like to eat and will aim to fit a couple of them in as must do's and then just go with the flow when there. If I get show tickets on the Brooklyn trip I'll need to move Beauty & Essex (which I'm really looking forward to) and don't know whether it matters if I go there midweek or at the weekend, if anyone has any input on that too.

Thanks in advance!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,625 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: December itinerary - early stages

Most shows are closed (dark) Sunday nights. Your options will be VERY limited. The Times Square booth is open 11-3 on Sundays for matinee performances: most shows do Sunday matinees.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December itinerary - early stages

Very good point, thanks for that. Will juggle my days around or stick with trying to get some on the Brooklyn day.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,817 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: December itinerary - early stages

You do not get timed tickets for the ESB. Buying in advance lets you skip the ticket line.

http://www.esbnyc.com/buy_tickets.asp

There is a line for security and boarding the elevators that varies depending on when you go.

www.esbnyc.com/observatory_visitors_tips.asp

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December itinerary - early stages

Thanks Kaye. I have the library on a Sunday so need to change that.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December itinerary - early stages

The TKTS booth is open after Sunday matinees although there is a limited selection of shows on Sunday evenings. You could also skip the TKTS line & go to NYC & Co earlier in your stay & get discount codes that you can bring right to the theater box office. Also, if you see 2 or more shows in a 7 day period, just bring your stub to front of the TKTS booth & ask for the Fast Pass option. You will be able to get into an express line & save a bit of a wait.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: December itinerary - early stages

Oops, one thing I didn't make clear. The stubs from the earlier shows have to have been purchased at the TKTS booth.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December itinerary - early stages

One more thing (can you tell I'm doing this at work?) the NYC & Co booth is on 7th near the corner of 53rd.

Sorry for all the posts.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: December itinerary - early stages

Thanks cyblume for the NYC & Co info.

new york
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December itinerary - early stages

I prefer to purchase my tickets in advance. If they have discounts available, I use broadwaybox.com or playbill.com. I avoid the Times Square tkts booth due to the lines, but I did use the Brooklyn one last trip which was great - there was no line.

You have organized your days pretty well. I wouldn't do both ESB and TOTR - I would only do TOTR. However, if you want to do both then do ESB at night and TOTR in the daylight or just before dusk. I would include some time meandering through the streets of Greenwich Village.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: December itinerary - early stages

Thanks George00, I'll definitely fit Greenwich in to our trip.