We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avalon Hotel & reluctant husband

London, England
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Avalon Hotel & reluctant husband

I'm coming to NY at the end of March with my teenage kids and my husband who REALLY doesn't want to come. For this reason, I am desperate to book a decent hotel in a good location so I've decided to book a suite at the Avalon. I know there are plenty of good, cheaper places to stay. I stayed at Hotel Edison with some friends 4 yrs ago which was adequate. It was clean but the room was small and the bathroom was tiny and in need of redecoration. The Avalon is more upmarket than I'd usually choose but I want everything to be as perfect as possible so my husband will wonder why on earth he was so reluctant to visit! Does anyone have an opinion on the Avalon? The air conditioning has been mentioned in a few reviews that I have read. Is it really a problem that could ruin our stay? My husband can't stand noise from clocks, heating etc whereas traffic noise is the thing that keeps me awake!

Also, someone mentioned they leave their husband at B&H to browse the electrical goods. That would suit my husband perfectly. Where do I find B&H please?

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avalon Hotel & reluctant husband

B&H is at 420 9th Ave, just on the corner of 34th st. Check the website for opening times..www.bhphotovideo.com

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avalon Hotel & reluctant husband

Keep in mind that B & H closes early on Friday and is closed on Saturday.

manchester england
Level Contributor
694 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avalon Hotel & reluctant husband

for the reasons he does not want to go , Why?

may he spoil it as I have a teenager that clearly does not want to go and i would love her to but she will be left at home in care of her grandma as it woudl be no good going with someone with a long face as you are so excited

is there any interests i.e treat him like a child i,e one day your thing one day his

you see you are lucky and your teenagers want to go but mine will not sightsee at all only shop cant do that for 7days

good luck!!!!!!!!!!! let me know how you deal with it

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avalon Hotel & reluctant husband

hey if he doesnt want to go you can always take me :)

I just dont get some peoples reluctance not to go to nyc. Normally the things people say are is that it isnt unsafe etc yet these are the people who happily walk the streets of london which is more unsafe.

My sister lives closeted in some weird land and she is adamant she will never ever go to nyc, cant understand why we went the first time let alone are going back, and claims somewhere like madrid is far nicer...well maybe it is but what about the bombs they have etc? She is stuck now as our brother is getting married next year in nyc...so it should be fun with the reluctant sister!!

oh and of course then there was the father in law who said why would anyone ever want to go on holiday when you can see it all on a holiday tv programme....and nyc you see in films, what a sad attitude!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Avalon Hotel & reluctant husband

I would leave your husband at home if he doesn't want to go. When we take my DH to malls, shopping expeditions, or other "chick" places, we just find a sports bar and park him there!

manchester england
Level Contributor
694 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avalon Hotel & reluctant husband

foss 4

how are you going on with your plight

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avalon Hotel & reluctant husband

I stayed at the Avalon this past July and I was very comfortable. (I'm a grumpy 51 yr old male...) I hate air conditioning noise, and I was very impressed by how effiecient and quiet the air conditioning was. All hotels have good rooms and bad rooms, so others may have had a different experience.

If you booked with an online service (i.e. Expedia etc) you don't get much choice on the room, you have to take whatever is available when you arrive. If you booked directly with the hotel, then usually they will try to accommodate a request. If you can, before you travel, ask for a room on an upper floor with a view of the Empire State Building. (the hotel is right around the corner from this landmark). It will impress your husband.

I was also impressed by how well insulated the windows were. Street noise was not a problem at all.

Your first evening there, at sunset, go over to the Empire State building and go up to the top. This will begin to soften your husband up a little. Buy tickets online before you go, so you don't have to wait in the ticket line.

http://www.esbnyc.com/index2.cfm

I have been visiting NYC since the early 70's when it was at it's lowest point. I hated it then. I have visited regularly over the last 30 years and the transformation has been astounding. I love it now.

The Avalon is in a good area, but the street it is on is rather indifferent. Don't let this bother you.

Enjoy your trip!

London, England
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avalon Hotel & reluctant husband

I'm pleased to report that he appears to be softening up to the idea. We've now got tickets to a Knicks game which should be fun, and my husband even took an interest in the New York feature on BBC1's Holiday 2005 last night! It's only 3 weeks 'til we go, so I'll report back on our return.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avalon Hotel & reluctant husband

The Avalon is a very nice hotel, my friends have stayed in it 5 or 6 times now (a Scottish couple in their 40's).

An alternative hotel (not that you need one, i'm not saying that you should change) not far from the Avalon is the Sheraton Russell Hotel on Park Avenue at 37th street:

starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/…

These are reasons your husband might not like the Avalon:

1)there may be a view onto a brick wall...the Sheraton will have a partial city view.

2)The Avalon is next to/part of Korea town. The street is a bit dirty and commercial with UPS trucks and buses going by, and some restaurant garbage around. The Sheraton is on PARK Avenue, the street is very clean, landscaped almost.

The decor in the Avalon is Italian style, black and gold, glossy (very nice, sumptuous, remember i like the Avalon)

The decor at the Sheraton is quite English board-room like..sthg American businessmen love.