We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway help and advice needed please for dippy blonde!

Level Contributor
28 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Subway help and advice needed please for dippy blonde!

Hi, I'm looking for help on which subways to get. I've researched this and checked out the maps but really unconfident. I've visited once before and walked everywhere but this time I am taking my grandad who is 80. He's fit but we will need to use the subway. We are staying w.47th so I just wondered where the nearest subway is to get to these places: battery park, Museum mile, Greenwich village and cony island.

Please help and thanks :)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,809 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway help and advice needed please for dippy blonde!

We need to know exactly where on W. 47 Street you're staying, and where in Battery Park, Greenwich Village and Museum Mile you're going. Are you always going to be starting from the hotel? Have you attempted using a map or a mapping tool like hopstop yet?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway help and advice needed please for dippy blonde!

Agree. Where on 47th? Near the Rock Ctr stop?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway help and advice needed please for dippy blonde!

Your MetroCard is also good on buses so look at theManhattan bus map as well.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway help and advice needed please for dippy blonde!

The other issue about taking the subway and your dad's age are the stairs in & out. Sometimes there's not too many, but often there's a good set of stairs to climb to reach the street.

Level Contributor
28 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway help and advice needed please for dippy blonde!

Hi thanks for replying. Staying at the Edison hotel.

Planning to go to world trade memorial and Statue of Liberty at battery park.

At museum mile the met.

And I would like to explore as much as Greenwich village as poss so don't mind.

We will always be starting from the hotel too.

I've had a look at hopstops but even that confused me simple as it obviously is!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway help and advice needed please for dippy blonde!

Here is 1 option:

**Battery Park-R train from 49th Street to Whitehall St.

**Museum mile-You can catch the bus on Madison Ave northbound to get to the area.

**Greenwich village-N or R from 49th Street to either 8th Street or Prince Street. You can also walk to the 47th/50th Rock Center stop and take the B, D, F or M to West 4th St.

**cony island-N or Q train from 49th St to CONEY Island. Q does not always stop there. I would walk to the 47th-50th Rock Center station and take the D train to Coney island.

Note that on weekends.......a lot of times, all bets are off! The subway system is often being upgraded and repaired and various train lines are re-routed. You can still get around and get where you want to go...

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,086 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway help and advice needed please for dippy blonde!

The first time you see an attended token booth in the subway pick up a (free) subway map or get a PDF at the link below.

Subway map here: http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

If you wish to minimize stairs, the stations with a wheelchair icon have elevators.

And buses, while lower are an alternative that can let you see a bit while you rest your feet.

Manhattan bus map: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway help and advice needed please for dippy blonde!

Agree with getting a physical map.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway help and advice needed please for dippy blonde!

Strongly advise buses or cabs. My mom is thankfully also fit at 80 but has quite a time in the subway with all the stairs and the crowds rushing. Not as many escalators as you find in other subway systems. If you're unsure of yourself, you could make a mistake that requires even more stairs (to reverse direction). If it was just you, it would be no big deal. Buses will get you around, though you may want to make an exception for Coney Island and take the train there. Have a great trip.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway help and advice needed please for dippy blonde!

I've only been to NYC once and I was a little nervous about taking the subway but found it is so easy to work out and people are so helpful as well.

I would suggest you buy a NFT (not for tourists) book, it has great little maps of every area with the subway stops clearly marked, it's just a matter of looking up your beginning point and ending point to see which line you need to take. This was my bible whilst in NYC and we went everywhere at all hours on the subway.

There are lots.... and lots.... and lots of stairs though in the subway and when you emerge onto the street it can be a bit disorienting as to which direction to head in!!