We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mets game - left field landing

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Mets game - left field landing

Hi all,

My boyfriend really wants to see a baseball game when we go to NYC in September. We're going to go to a Mets game since Yankees are away the week we are there. When I was looking at tickets it would be for the Mets vs Nationals. We noticed if we go on the Tuesday we can get a free tshirt with our tickets for $19, sitting in the left field landing. My question is, are these seats good for watching the game?

It seems like a great deal since we'll get a wee memento with our tickets. But, being complete novices with baseball and what citifield is like, we wanted to check whether the free tshirt is just to fill up the seats no one else wants, and if we would be better buying tickets for a better section in the stadium?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
108 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mets game - left field landing

Do you and your boyfriend actually want to watch the game and care about what's going on? Or do you envision yourself walking around the stadium, taking pictures, etc.?

So for me, for example, if I were on the footie pitch: I don't care for footie, so I would not care where I sit on the pitch. I would probably watch the first 15 minutes, then walk around the stadium, take pictures, explore maybe the shops or concessions, and probably buy a souvenir. Then I might come back and watch another 15-20 minutes near the end. Therefore, a free t-shirt would be of more value to me.

Citifield is a pretty nice baseball stadium. It has some great food (Shake Shack, etc.) and is a great stadium to walk around, with wide walkways. You can also walk on the ground level to just outside the ground level seating sections and get some great views of the game itself if you are willing to stand. So if you are going to walk around, take pictures, etc. then sure, the left field landing would be a great place to have as a home base to watch a bit, then get up and stroll around, then come back. And you would get a free t-shirt so no need to buy one while there.

HOWEVER, if you care about watching the actual game, the better seats to actually watch the game IMHO are closer to the baseball diamond (even in the upper deck / Promenade level) where you can really watch how the fielders are playing and the intricacy of the game. When you sit in the outfield, it's a fine place for say a father-son experience, and it's cool to watch the balls fly at you and the outfielders run around. But it is harder to see, say, a double play or a really close slide to third base that's safe.

That being said, it's still a great view of the game... just a different one and one that I would prefer less than being closer to the diamond as a baseball fan.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mets game - left field landing

If you go out to the Mets website and pull up stadium seating you can click on it and it will give you a view of what you will see. It all really depends on what you want from your view, Some like to sit low down, I prefer to sit higher up to get a whole view, also your seats in LF may block to a degree what you can see on the scoreboard and such.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mets game - left field landing

As the others have said, if you don't care about watching the action, a cheap seat with a bad view will do. If you actually want to see the game, a seat within the baseball diamond is much better.

The Mets have not been playing very well this year and by September they're just going to be playing out the end of the season - there will be no playoff hopes. (I say this as a Mets fan). They play two Tuesday games in September, both evening games, on the 10th vs. Washington and on the 17th vs. San Francisco. School will be back in session, so this will also keep attendance down on a weeknight.

Face value tickets for good seats - Metropolitan Box (infield at field level) - are being sold on the Mets website for the 9/10 game for $85. On StubHub you can get tickets in Metropolitan Box seats starting at $68, and I'm pretty sure the prices will keep falling...

StubHub is the official MLB ticket resale site. Many of the sellers are season ticket holders selling off games they won't attend. Others are people who bought tickets to a particular game that they later found themselves unable to attend.

If the game is a sell-out, tickets sell for above face value on StubHub. But if there are still face-value tickets for a game available from the Mets box office, then the tickets on StubHub should be selling for less than face value. The sellers have already paid for a ticket they're not going to use and would rather get something for it than nothing.

The closer it gets to game day, the cheaper the remaining tickets get - StubHub has an automated mechanism that keeps dropping the price (within parameters set by the ticket seller). Since most of the tickets are delivered by email, if a game is not likely to sell out you can often buy them last-minute at fire sale prices.

Metropolitan Box seats may not fall down to $19, but you might be able to get other pretty good seats - much better than left field landing - for not much more than that.

Citi Field is a nice ballpark with good eating options, so it should be a fun evening out. Enjoy the game!

Edited: 9:35 am, August 02, 2013
Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mets game - left field landing

Thanks for your replies. We do want to watch some of the game, but really we want to enjoy the experience of going to a ball game and take in the atmosphere, food etc. So I think what fattsmann has suggested would be good. I never realised you could get up and walk around taking pictures during the game or go to the lower levels and stand. That's great information.

We're not very baseball savvy (me especially I will need to read up before I go), so I think not being close to the baseball diamond wouldn't really matter to us. Plus, we do love free stuff, so the t-shirt might just clinch the deal for us with these seats!

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mets game - left field landing

Just an aside regarding going down to the lower levels. You can go around to pretty much the whole stadium. However, you will not have access to the field box levels (down by the field in the infield) without a ticket for those areas, but you can watch from behind the field boxes on the main concourse.

6. Re: Mets game - left field landing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 04, 2014