We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - First Draft

Preston
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - First Draft

Hello

Me and my GF are travelling to NYC just before Xmas between 14th and 23rd December. I came to the city in 2006 but only for 2 nights so missed out on a lot of the sightseeing. It is my GFs first time.

We have started a bit of forward planning and would love some feedback on how our itinerary is looking. Do you think we will have time to do everything on the list below?

We are planning on staying in the Plaza just for one night because it has always been a dream of mine since watching Home Alone 2 when I was little. I know it’s not going to be anything like in the film but like I said it’s something I’ve wanted to do for most of my life and have saved up the money to do it as a once in a lifetime thing  This isn’t booked yet.

The rest of the time we are staying in the Harlem YMCA. Which, whilst being a good subway ride from most of the lower Manhattan sights, it ticks all our boxes because all we really want is a cheap place to rest our heads as we aren’t planning on spending any time at all in the hotel. This is already booked.

We have booked tickets to see the Lion King and also tickets to watch the Rangers. Being a Seinfeld fine I have booked us on to the Kenny Kramer tour (much to my GFs disappointment). We have also applied for a Big Apple Greeter.

I would love to catch a music gig whilst we are in the City and also see a comedy show and go to the cinema. This just leaves one night free where we might see what we can get from the TKTS booth.

Below is the Itinerary, let me know what you think. Any info is much appreciated. I have been trawling through these forums for a few weeks now and love all the info you guys provide. Thanks a lot!!!

Sat 14th – Day 1

Travel to NYC – Arrival JFK 4pm – Taxi to Harlem YMCA – Arrive around 6-7pm

Go to Times Square

Meal

Empire State Building

Sun 15th Day 2

Big Apple Greeter (Hopefully)

If not, Shopping Day.

Night - Radio City Christmas Show

Mon 16th Day 3

Statue of Liberty

9/11 Memorial

Brooklyn Flea Market

Walk back over the Bridge

Night – Cinema

Tue 17th Day 4

The Bronx Yankee Stadium

Food on Arthur Avenue

Zoo

Night – Music Gig???

Wed 18th Day 5

TKTS Booth

Shopping Day – Macy’s Father Charismas

Night – Meal + Cheap Show

Thur 19th Day 6

Central Park – Horse and Carriage, Ice Skating

Check into the Plaza - Afternoon Tea, Plaza Shops

Night – Meal and Cocktails

Fri 20th Day 7

Plaza Breakfast

Limo ride finishing at Toy Shop

Night – NY Rangers vs NY Islanders

Sat 21st Day 8

Top of the Rock

Seinfeld Tour

Night – Lion King

Sun 22nd Day 9

Queens – Five Pointz

Flushing Meadows

Natural History Museum

Night – Comedy Show???

Mon 23rd Day 10

Souvenir Shopping

Anything we missed

Depart JFK 8.40pm

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,580 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - First Draft

I think you've organised your days very well. You have some breathing space which is good because you will be coming across things to stop and look at.

If you are a fan of Seinfeld you will enjoy Kenny's tour. I did the tour on my last trip and really enjoyed it. He talks a million miles an hour and talks about his life, the Seinfeld TV show, Larry David and of course NYC. You will make a stop at Monk's coffee house (really called Tom's) and also the Soup Man which inspired the Soup Nazi episode. The soup is delicious by the way. Try the lobster bisque.

Preston
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - First Draft

Thanks :-) Can't wait! Gonna be a long wait till December though!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,580 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - First Draft

Does he run the tour in December? When I was there he said he takes 6 months off every year to go to the Bahamas on vacation :-) and was leaving October sometime. Maybe he doesn't do that anymore.

Preston
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary - First Draft

Well I've booked the tickets through his website and has the confirmation through and everything so I think it must do yeah. Hopefully! :)

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary - First Draft

Brooklyn Flea/Smorgasburg are never on Monday:

From the Brooklyn Flea web site:

"From April through Thanksgiving, the markets take place outdoors: on Saturdays in Fort Greene and on Sundays in Williamsburg. We also operate two giant all-food markets in Williamsburg and Dumbo, Smorgasburg, which features 75-100 local and regional vendors. From Thanksgiving through March, the market moves indoors to Skylight One Hanson, an event space in the landmark former Williamsburgh Savings Bank."

http://www.brooklynflea.com/about/

Preston
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary - First Draft

Ok thanks for the heads up on that one. So does that mean it's on a Saterday or a Sunday? I'm not sure which of those places is Brooklyn?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,542 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary - First Draft

Lee ....yep that's what happens with the Kramer tour and you'll be fine...he does 6 weeks at Christmas and another 6 weeks at another time of year..Labour Day maybe. It is hysterical, ditto what Aynat62 says at their first post.

...have a great holiday.

Edited: 9:27 am, August 02, 2013
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary - First Draft

You may want to do your one night stay at the plaza at the end of you trip. Hotel prices are often cheaper in the days closer to Christmas.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,280 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary - First Draft

The places jane235 mentions are all in Brooklyn.

During December, when you are there, the Flea will likely be in its previous winter location, the former Williamsburg Savings Bank, 1 Hanson Place, Brooklyn. It will run on both Saturday and Sunday.

Preston
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary - First Draft

Thanks for the heads up on the hotel price, I'll look into that :-)

Cheers for the info on the Flea :-)