We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Boston?

California
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Boston?

Hi!

My mom and I are coming to NYC in October for 7 days.

She mentioned today about taking a train to Boston. I am concerned that we will not have enough time in Boston (3 hours each way), and also will it make us too tired for the next day.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Boston?

It's too far for a day trip. The train is over four hours on the conventional Northeast Regional Trains, and 3 1/2 hours on the almost three times as expensive Acela trains.

What you should look into as an open jaw ticket, flying one way to Boston and returning from New York, or vice versa. If you do this the Northeast Regional trains would be fine for your one way trip. If you buy a Northeast Regional ticket in advance the fare is $49. If you mom is over 62 she'll get a senior discount as well.

California
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Boston?

We already bought our airlines tickets....thank though!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Boston?

You can easily spend 7 days in NYC and still leave with unfinished business. But you could go to Boston for a night. Lots to do there. Agreed that it would be a long and tiring day trip.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Boston?

One way ticket into NYC and out of Boston is the best way. Check megabus (and maybe other bus lines) for $1 ticket NYC-BOS.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Boston?

Sounds exhausting, yet Boston is worth it. Take a hop on hop off bus and just enjoy as much as you can. Be sure to eat the clam chowder it is unmissable.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Boston?

We never travel to Boston for a day trip; we spend at least 1-2 nights at a minimum...there is much to see and the trip will tale you more than 3 hours.

CH

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,879 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Boston?

Boston is a lovely city and quite different from NYC. If you want to go, plan on staying at least overnight. Else drip it. Otherwise it will fee like an ordeal.

California
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Boston?

Thanks all!

Level Contributor
59 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Boston?

Omg. Don't do it. I've lived in Boston but now living in NY. Why give up a day in the city? Boston's a lovely place, to live. Not a place to go completely out of your way or take a day out from NY. Definitely skip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Boston?

Aw, Boston is different enough from NYC to spend a day or two! I love NYC and I love my hometown, too. I know it's not as huge and dynamic as NYC but it has its own appeal. It feels very different, has a totally different vibe and a smaller footprint.

I've done one-day jaunts to NYC jaunts from Boston and one day is exhausting. The train can't possibly take only three hours. I think even the Acela is closer to four. Whatever, it's possible, but it's a lot in one day. Much more relaxing to at least give yourself an overnight, but if your tickets are purchased, you can make it work.

When you get to Boston, you can get off either at Back Bay Station (near Copley Square) or South Station. I'd recommend the Back Bay stop. From there you can find the launching point for the duck tours and the trolley tours, etc. If you've got only a day, I think this is a good way to get an overview. In Back Bay, you'll see Copley Square, the Marathon Finish line area, Boston Public Library. Nice shops on Newbury Street. The HOHO tour will cover a lot of ground. Mid-day the traffic shouldn't snarl things too bad.

You could think of ending your visit in the North End/ Faneuil Hall area. Get pastries at Mike's for the train, see Faneuil Hall, see the waterfront by the Aquarium--see the harbor view at the Boston Harbor Hotel. Gorgeous if the weather is nice. You can make your way back to South Station that way. (see it on a map) Get on the train back to NYC at South Station so you can have your choice of seats. Don't forget to get takeout food in the North End or Faneuil Hall for the trek back. (If you prefer Chinese, Chinatown is also close-ish to South Station, just in the other direction.)

Enjoy !

Edited: 4:00 pm, August 03, 2013