We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Washington DC

DXB, the big...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Washington DC

Can anybody help please? I am struggling with Amtraks stupid computerized personal assistant. Im trying to book a train from NY to DC and back a week later. However as we are travelling internationally via a number of countries the luggage we have is fine by the airlines we are flying with, however not for Amtrak. How seriously do they enforce the regulations? All suitcases meet the Amtrak sizing. Its really 2 bags each plus for me a normal airline size carry on wheelie bag as my hand baggage but its bigger than Amtraks 12 x 12 x 12.

If I cant do this as it doesnt appear to be possible via plane either (and I didnt want to have to waste time with all the security checking hanging around) I guess I will have to hire a car? Is this really the only solution?

Any advice really really gratefully received.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,893 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Washington DC

If you can carry it on board you'll be fine with Amtrak. This is not like the airlines. There are large overhead bins and additional storage at the end of each car.

If you'd like assistance you can get a Red Cap to help you. The Red Cap will also get you down to the train a little before other passengers. Just remember to tip!

You should book your ticket ASAP as fares typically go up as the train gets fuller. You no longer have to get anything else at the station. The print out of your ticket (with bar code) is all you need. You'll also get a receipt you can print out.

DXB, the big...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Washington DC

Thank you so much AudenHoggart. I was at the very point of paying until I got to the bit about the luggage and went into meltdown. I'm so excited about my trip I cant tell you and this was all getting a bit too much but now I'm thrilled and this is almost my last piece of the trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Washington DC

We recently went through this in great detail. See the this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6582858…

In a nutshell, you'll be fine. They don't police it. In order to get seats as a group or easily stow your luggage, get a Red Cap to assist you about 30 minutes before your train.

DXB, the big...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Washington DC

Top tip about the Red Caps. How much to tip? I know in restaurants and stuff its 15 -20% but not sure for this. I shall read your thread katoz, should have looked for this before hand, Doh!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Washington DC

I would tip $10-$20.

6. Re: Train to Washington DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 24, 2014