We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Del Posto lunch

Plymouth
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Del Posto lunch

We have booked a lunch reservation at Del Posto as it comes well recommended on here, and have taken note of the dress code on the website. Can anyone confirm does sleeveless shirt mean short sleeved short? - I.e. cuts off around the bottom of the bicep. I will be calling the restaurant in any event, but would prefer not to sound like a numpty when doing so!!

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Del Posto lunch

Sleeveless means no sleeves at all, like a tank or wife beater.

A button down, short sleeved shirt is fine.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Del Posto lunch

Thanks that's great. So many words/phrases mean different things in our countries; I didn't want to make the mistake of this being one of them!!

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Del Posto lunch

Yes -short sleeve button down should be fine.

I had lunch there recently and I was a bit disappointed. I think it was something we wanted to try and we had high expectations. It was a lot of show, a lot of pomp and circumstance if you will - without a ton of substance. It was just a bit over the top. We like Mario Batali's Otto and we like Mario Batali's Babbo but we felt Del Posto was a bit over the top. I hope this helps.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Del Posto lunch

Thanks MoreFFMiles. I shall ensure our expectations are tempered. To be fair, we don't have much in the way of upscale dining in our area, so I think we will be easily impressed. Shame though if it turns out to be all fanfare and no pudding.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,582 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Del Posto lunch

It all depends whether you are male or female. Nothing wrong with a woman showing up in a nice sleeveless outfit. On the other hand, for a man............ Hard to tell with your name.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Del Posto lunch

Hi WEQueen,

I'm female - the question was in respect of my boyfriend.

To clarify, I did not think he would be allowed to go sleeveless to such an upscale place, but wanted to check if this might also mean short sleeved shirts too in the US. I didn't want to get caught out by a phrase meaning something different in the US than it did in the UK.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Del Posto lunch

Speaking of English phrases with different meanings in different countries, I've never heard of a "wife beater" shirt before. Doesn't sound like a great idea, either as a practice or as a shirt name.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Del Posto lunch

I am very familiar with the term "wife beater" as it refers to an article of clothing. I thought it was a household expression for that kind of shirt - definitely not appropriate to leave the trailer in.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Del Posto lunch

I've only heard the term used in the odd American TV show. It's not an expression I've heard in common conversation over here. We'd normally call that sort of thing a vest (by we I mean people I know - maybe the rest of the UK call it something different).

My most embarrassing misunderstanding was with an Australian women who was trying to find her missing thong. I did not know at the time that it meant flip flop, as it means something very different here.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,959 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Del Posto lunch

Ha ha yes, the thongs vs flip flops. We have to be very careful when we say we are wearing our thongs on our feet. It would not be a good look. ;-)

I've never heard of wife beater in regards to clothing either.