We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free day. What to do?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Free day. What to do?

We will be in NYC in Sept. for 7 days. This will be our 2nd trip in 12 months. I had a full itenarary planned for last year and am doing the same for this trip. I do have 1 free day that we would like to fill in maybe by visiting a different city. We would have just spent 7 days in DC just prior to visiting NYC.

The only options I can see is by been part of an organized bus tour eg. Philadelphia or Boston etc.

I have read replies on this forum that this is not a very enjoyable way of spending a day on a tour bus. Any suggestions please?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
379 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free day. What to do?

Philadelphia is about 90 minutes by train. Boston is further away.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free day. What to do?

Another idea is to spend the day in the Hudson Valley. Poughkeepsie (the walkway over the Hudson is wonderful),, Beacon (Dia Museum for contemporary art in an interesting repurposed factory building if that's your cup of tea)

A GREAT TRAIN RIDE....

Lots of walks...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free day. What to do?

Details of our trip to/along the Hudson River, including a great post by a local on walks is on page 19 of my Trip Report:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5969…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free day. What to do?

I think in Sept., the Hudson River area is a great idea by train on your own.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free day. What to do?

Many thanks, a day on the train up the Hudson River sounds very tempting. I just need to research which train to catch. We did travel by Amtrak to NYC from DC last time and we enjoyed the train travel very much.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free day. What to do?

Metro North is the train company and Hudson is the line...

mta.info/mnr/…schedules.htm

Sit on the left of the train...you cannot book,seats, just get to the Terminal a bit earlier to buy your tickets, find the platform and secure good seats....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free day. What to do?

Hi Jenny, I had previously read your TR. Found it fascinating. 1 whole month in NYC!! Just read again your day on the Hudson .Thanks for the info and links on Metro North and Hudson line, I have checked out timetables.

I have made notes and this might be a very good option to spend the day. Thanks also to Nywhiz, you are most helpful to all asking questions on this forum , me included. This trip is to celebrate my big 60!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free day. What to do?

Hi again Maryjo,

if we don't hear from you again on the Forum have a great holiday and a wonderful birthday....

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free day. What to do?

I would comment that it's the organized tour part that's not so enjoyable. I love Philadelphia, but without knowing your personal interests, it's hard to say what you should "do" after you get there. If you are willing to rent a car, you have a lot of close-in options, like public gardens or beaches on Long Island, I also love Beacon, which also has a 19th-20th century village repurposed as a tourist destination, with a glass-blowing shop, restaurants, and so on. Walkway over the Hudson is not right there, alas. Note also several wineries within 1 1/2 hours of Manhattan, in that direction, West Point military academy, New York Botanical Garden (no car needed), The Cloisters, maybe still boat rides on the Hudson in September, Mohonk Mountain House and the Catskill Mountains, Staten Island has Snug Harbor and an important Tibetan Art museum, not to mention the views from the ferry. Have you been to Brooklyn or Queens? Major museum and restaurant development there in the last ten years, as well as older attractions like Brooklyn Botanical Garden, Brooklyn Museum (really important collection of American Art... ), new sports arena. Also the Jersey Shore if you love beaches.

Edited: 5:52 pm, July 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free day. What to do?

Thanks opsoperator, but we will not be driving. That's why maybe the train trip on the Hudson might be one of the better options for us.