We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to wear during the day?

devon united kingdom
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
what to wear during the day?

Hi, my husband and i are visiting NYC on the 24th Aug - 28th Aug for our 30th bday!

My husband is wondering what the best clothes to wear during the day that is also smart for going in the shops. He was thinking of wearing a smart pair of shorts, polo top with flip flops or boat shoes.

Also do people generally dress up in the eve to go for dinner etc?

Many thanks in advance.

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: what to wear during the day?

I hope it's a great trip! Yes, you will definitely want something smart for the day, and shorts and a polo shirt should be great. it will be HOT that time of year, and the humidity can be awful. The only point of caution is I would discourage him from wearing flip flops. I've lived in NYC for years and you almost never see a New Yorker in flip flops - the streets are far too filthy and you will risk life and limb wearing them into the subway! Boat shoes are a great alternative, and commonly worn here for weekend casual wear. For women, ballet flats are a classic travel staple.

For a nice dinner, I would pack something business casual. Slacks and a good button down will take you most places in the city, and since people work around the clock you're never out of place in business attire. Avoid eating in midtown at all costs (unless you go somewhere really fancy in midtown east, which is the major financial area, and restaurants are priced for corporate accounts). Check out the West Village and Tribeca for some wonderful, romantic spots.

Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to wear during the day?

That sounds like fine attire during the day. At night, it's rare you'll see someone in shorts. Jeans or khakis with a polo or short sleeve button down shirt are more common.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to wear during the day?

I agree that this sounds just fine for the day, and that at night he'll want to wear what Kate describes to causal places. If you're going to any fine dining restaurants he'll need to dress up more, of course, and a handful of restaurants (Per Se, Daniel, and a few others) require a jacket.

I wear flip flops all the time, by the way, and they are commonly seen on women in summer in Manhattan. :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to wear during the day?

I would definitely not wear flip flops and even be careful about boat shoes. You will be walking for miles every day and want something with really good support!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
386 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to wear during the day?

flip flops are not meant for "all day" walking. your feet will be tired and hurting before half the day is over.

try "ecco" or "merrilll" sandals.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,888 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to wear during the day?

You obviously go in finer shops than we do, never ever have I given a thought to looking "smart" for the shops. But I do most certainly dress for dinner and the theater.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to wear during the day?

You can't wear shorts at night? Even if it's 80+ out and humid? Argh! Well, if you NYers ever come out to California, you can get away with shorts on a hot day just about anywhere, except maybe places I don't go, like the opera.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to wear during the day?

From a fashion perspective, for him, flip flops, boat shoes, loafers, trainers, etc - all fine and all can look fashionable. From a comfort perspective, for both of you, make sure to bring shoes that you've walked in a lot, that are broken in and that you know are comfortable. I wear Orthoheel flip flops (an Australian brand available on Zappos in the US) and I can walk for hours and hours in them. Ballet flats, on the other hand, rarely offer arch support and I find them to be killers.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to wear during the day?

PS - it sounds like you're concerned about looking fashionable, and by all means dress as nicely as you'd like...but, just so you know, most places you go, no one will care one bit how you're dressed! :)

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to wear during the day?

We have lived here for 40+ years always dress for the weather; consequently, on a hot and humid City night you can find us in shorts, t-shirts and sandals, even when eating-out at our neighborhood Village restaurants and/or shopping. That said, if we are eating at some place more "fancy" we might wear light linen. In any case, this is NYC and most venues have a wide tolerance in how their patrons dress.

CH

Edited: 8:03 pm, July 15, 2013