We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electric voltage - will a 220v appliance work?

Famagusta, Cyprus
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Electric voltage - will a 220v appliance work?

I'm traveling to the US for a few weeks and starting off in NYC. Living in Europe, my electric hair straighteners are 220-240v. I know I'll need an adaptor for the socket but I'm wondering if they are gong to work due to the difference in electric voltage... Would I just be better to get new hair straighteners in the US?

Advice would be much appreciated...thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,911 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electric voltage - will a 220v appliance work?

Get a 110V. Either a dual voltage straightener or just buy one that's the right voltage when you get to NYC. You will also need a plug adapter if you are buying the dual voltage from Europe.

Edited: 12:53 am, July 11, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,786 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Electric voltage - will a 220v appliance work?

You need both an adaptor to make the plug fit AND a converter to change the current, but a hair straightener designed to run on 220 will never work well on 110. Just buy one here, or decide to go curly in vacation.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,619 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electric voltage - will a 220v appliance work?

Actually, they might work. I usually take a 240V hair dryer and straightener and all I've needed is an adapter. They work fine. But I don't know if 220V is any different to 240V. I know that 240V works OK for me.

Famagusta, Cyprus
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electric voltage - will a 220v appliance work?

Thanks. My straighteners also work at 240V... I'm tempted to take them but have a feeling they're not going to work...so think I'll try get something in NYC.

Edited: 8:36 am, July 11, 2013
Manchester
Level Contributor
373 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electric voltage - will a 220v appliance work?

You need to check either your instructions or plug and it should say the voltage range.

If it says something like 100-240v then you are OK, if says 220-250v then nope.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electric voltage - will a 220v appliance work?

I took an epilator to the USA once, it did 'work' but was useless as it ran too slowly to be effective

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,339 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electric voltage - will a 220v appliance work?

Buy a new one in NYC. Europe's 220 and 240 are the same, just as US voltage 110 and 120 are really the same. But using a Europe voltage device with US voltage will not work, UNLESS the curler is specifically made to handle both voltages (unlikely). The voltage transformer that you will need will weigh more and might cost more than the hair curler itself. So I'd just buy a new one.

Also, for the record, many phone chargers, computer chargers, and battery chargers DO work with both 110/120 and 220/240 electric systems. But you still would need a plug converter (which is inexpensive and is NOT a voltage converter). US uses two parallel (lengthwise) thin lines of metal for its plug. Most of Europe uses to thin round cylinders for their plug. The UK uses those parallel (widthwise) big lengths of metal for its plug with a ground part that's also big. Many stores sell little packets of plug converters for every type in the world. This is not the same as a voltage converter in any way at all.

Your hair curler WILL NOT WORK with just this change, unless it specifically says that it handles both voltage types: 110 AND 220. There may be a switch to allow you switch between but, in my opinion that is very unlikely. Small appliances like that are less expensive in the US than in the UK.

Edited: 10:52 am, July 11, 2013
Famagusta, Cyprus
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electric voltage - will a 220v appliance work?

Thanks :) my phone charger and iPad chargers are fine. I've checked the voltage range :) already have adapters.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,911 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Electric voltage - will a 220v appliance work?

If you are seriously thinking of buying your hair appliance in NYC, I suggest you go to Ricky's NYC. It is a chain store of beauty, hair supplies and sundries that has a wide selection of appliances and has numerous locations all over the city. Buy one that is dual voltage so it can also be used back home or for any of your travels. Only thing you will need to make it truly versatile would the plug adaptors. www.rickysnyc.com

Famagusta, Cyprus
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Electric voltage - will a 220v appliance work?

Great :) thanks for that piece of advice. Will check out the web site :)