We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding or reading addresses

Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Finding or reading addresses

I recall there was thread a while back on how to find addresses but couldn't locate it. Help please?

For example, our hotel on 234 W 48 St, how do I tell it is between 7th and 8th ave on W 48 St?

NYC baby!
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding or reading addresses

put the address into google maps. if you zoom in it will show you clearly where the hotel is situated.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding or reading addresses

5th Avenue is the East West divider, so every 100 is one block: 100 W is 6th Ave, 200 W is 7th Ave, etc.

East of 5th Ave is a little less simple because there are three avenues (Madison, Park, Lexington) between 5th and 3rd Aves.

North-South addresses are a bit goofy because (IIRC) the numbering starts where each avenue starts, and the bottom of Manhattan isn't flat.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,799 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding or reading addresses

Here is the chart that was always printed in phone books ( when they existed) and carried in the wallets of many savvy New Yorkers.

http://www.ny.com/locator/algorithm.html

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,401 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding or reading addresses

The short version is: the algorithm isn't simple, and you're not going to memorize it. If you use an electronic mapping tool like maps.google.com, it will show you where the address is, and the websites for most attractions will specify the cross streets.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,746 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding or reading addresses

It really isn't hard for the east west streets. As you've heard, numbers increase by 100 east and west starting at 5th Avenue. So 2xx W. 48th is between 7th and 8th Avenues, while 2xx E. 48th would be between 2nd and 3rd Avenues. You ignore Lexington and Madison, and Park Avenue is 4th Avenue (which was its original name.) Broadway, which runs on a diagonal, also doesn't count.

On the streets, even numbers on on the south side and odd numbers are on the north side.

For avenues there's nothing really standardized so just use a mapping service.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding or reading addresses

I agree. Just map it.

Edited: 11:55 am, July 09, 2013
NYC
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding or reading addresses

And don't forget to mention East or West when giving an address, ie, if you take a cab to your hotel, make sure to mention that it is 234 WEST 48th Street. Actually, I think it's more common to just say: West 48th Street between 7th and 8th. Cab drivers aren't big on knowing the numbers either.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finding or reading addresses

Ok. I am not a local and am also trying to learn. Why is saying east and west so important if also saying the aves. If it is between 7th and8th, isn't it west "by definition"

When I was there I would tell the cab driver "I am going to xxxx hotel on 48th between 7th and 8th". I always got there.

Edited: 6:21 pm, July 09, 2013
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,746 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finding or reading addresses

The problem arises when someone asks about getting somewhere on "48th Street." That's insufficient information so it's good to get in the habit of thinking and saying East 48th or West 48th. You're correct, though, that if you specify the avenues then you'll be understood without the East or West.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finding or reading addresses

I almost never say 'east' or 'west'. I just give the driver the cross streets or the corner. If you give the exact address and don't know the cross streets, you're actually asking for trouble much of the time...the drivers want cross streets! :)