We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World trade centre site Memorial, tribute centre museum?help

Level Contributor
28 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
World trade centre site Memorial, tribute centre museum?help

Hi. I'm visiting New York in August. I am planning to visit the world trade centre site. I visited St. Paul's last year and found the whole experience overwhelming and moving.

I have looked at pre booking but i am a little confused. Is the memorial, walking tour, tribute centre and museum the same thing? Could somebody please explain the similarities and differences between each and which is the most respectful. And how to book.

Thank you in advance for responses.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: World trade centre site Memorial, tribute centre museum?help

This previous thread should contain most of the info you are looking for:

tripadvisor.ca/…49285845

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World trade centre site Memorial, tribute centre museum?help

Avoid the Ground Zero Museum Workshop. Allegedly it's profiting privately and not raising money for good causes.

Stick with the Tribute Center and 9/11 Memorial. http://www.911memorial.org/

NYC
Level Contributor
160 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World trade centre site Memorial, tribute centre museum?help

Also, PLEASE avoid the venders on the street selling books and souvenirs about the disater of 9/11. I want to scream every time I see them soliciting tourist. Please do not buy from them, there is plenty online about this day. I don't know where the $$$$$$$$ is going to but they are making thousands, they have been there for 13 years. Only if people stop buying from them will they go away.

Thank you,

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World trade centre site Memorial, tribute centre museum?help

I remember some interesting discussions on this site about the street vendors. Some people hate them, for the reasons that you mention, or they feel that the pics they're selling are exploitative. I do remember one poster dissenting- she said she was okay with the vendors, because the WTC was about capitalism anyhow, and a lot of the vendors were immigrants who needed the money.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World trade centre site Memorial, tribute centre museum?help

Yes, please do not patronize the book vendors; they are a horror. They add to the congestion in an already overcrowded space and make it even more dangerous to navigate the area. Imagine what it is like to have those dreadful pictures shoved in your face every time you're doing errands around that area for 13 years, especially if you've been through the event itself.

There was legislation passed after 9/11 creating a special zone around the site that was supposed to be vendor-free. This was a big deal because the site is under the jurisdiction of the state, and the state legislature had to pass it, and it took awhile. Unfortunately, most of the police there disavow any knowledge of this, although once in a while they will take action which is why the vendors usually clear out when they see the police.

If you need a book, there are many available in bookstores (the nearest one is the Barnes and Noble in TriBeCa, on Warren Street between West and Greenwich) and online. Unfortunately, the tacky street vendors seems destined to go on and on.

Edited: 5:21 pm, July 11, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: World trade centre site Memorial, tribute centre museum?help

The "directors" of the memorial make close to $400/K year......where is the outrage for that.

I remember when the Red Cross took in donations after 9/11 and there was inquiries re what percentage of the $$ went directly to victim families. They said that some of the funds went into their coffers for general "admin" type things for the Red Cross....

Not saying that the vendors are right or left. But there are other people/entities "profiting" from this tragedy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: World trade centre site Memorial, tribute centre museum?help

Well, I'm sure this will be shut down but don't forget the LMDC, which has been eating up big bucks for 13 years and as far as I can tell no longer doing anything except collecting salaries.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: World trade centre site Memorial, tribute centre museum?help

Agree!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: World trade centre site Memorial, tribute centre museum?help

Hear, Hear BatteryPark!

Some folks on a message board I used to frequent called the LMDC the "Leave Manhattan Destroyed Corporation", and loved to point out how useless they generally were- hold all these meetings to make people think they're listening, but refuse to listen to anything aside from what they wanted to do anyhow.

Waste of money indeed.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: World trade centre site Memorial, tribute centre museum?help

I'll just point out that the folks at the Red Cross who open envelopes, code donation tracking computer software, develop programs, and just generally do the very hard and underpaid work of running a charity also deserve to get paid. That's where the "admin" type money goes. (I am not making any particular argument about whether the Red Cross is itself well run or a good place to make a donation, just that many people seem to get upset when less than 100% of donated money goes to the intended source, when in fact the most effective charities hire good and competent staff to do their work. Those people do not work for free.)

Edited: 4:18 pm, July 12, 2013