We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daughter and boyfriend heading to NYC Sept - Where to stay?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Daughter and boyfriend heading to NYC Sept - Where to stay?

My 24 year old daughter and her 30 year old boyfriend are heading to NYC which is their first port of call on an around the world year long journey. As a combined birthday gift, I would like to prepay accommodation for their 5 night stay in NYC. Does anyone have any suggestions for accommodation that is close to everything and is is a younger happening part of town, I have heard lower is best or Greenwich Village, etc. I was looking at the Girafffe hotel or the Crosby, perhaps something with a roof top bar, any ideas? they are staying 20-25 Sept 2013. Cheers!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daughter and boyfriend heading to NYC Sept - Where to stay?

What is your nightly budget in USD?

I stayed at the Hotel Giraffe in 2010 with my parents and absolutely loved the hotel. The area is nice, not too touristy....but not exactly 'cool' or a 'younger happening' area.

You could look at The Standard East Village. My bf and I stayed there at the start of last month (we're both 27). It's a cool trendy hotel and in a good area for nightlife, bars etc.

The NYC subway is fantastic for getting around so if you like the look of a hotel that isn't in a 'cool' area, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Oh, and nothing is close to everything so don't worry about that either!

Edited: 4:10 am, July 07, 2013
NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daughter and boyfriend heading to NYC Sept - Where to stay?

What a lovely Mum! I haven't stayed there but I did love the location of The Jane (in the West Village) and really regret not booking The Nolitan for our recent trip. We stayed at The Standard East Village and would not recommend it mainly because the aircon is not ducted but has the compressor in the room and is extremely noisy. I posted a review which may be useful. Happy planning.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daughter and boyfriend heading to NYC Sept - Where to stay?

Budget is apprx $400 ish a night cheers

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Daughter and boyfriend heading to NYC Sept - Where to stay?

I would definately suggest the hotel Gansevoort It is incredible. It also has the roof top lounge/bar and it literally exceeded every expectation I had. It is also in a great area with a lot of bars and happening nightlife. Its pricey so its a no for that one I have also stayed in the Jane hotel which is much smaller and cuter and costs a lot less. They are near each other so the night life is great around both.

I disagree with the subway idea. I agree the subway is great but there is something really nice about being able to walk out of your building and just get lost in the great area and find a great bar, restaurant, or whatever. With the subway you need to have an idea of where your going when you get on which is a lot of planning and just more stress.

5. Re: Daughter and boyfriend heading to NYC Sept - Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, July 07, 2013
Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daughter and boyfriend heading to NYC Sept - Where to stay?

My husband and I (both 24) are heading back to NYC for the second time in Nov, and we've narrowed our stay this time down to The James and The Standard High Line. The James is definitely our preference. So close to everything (including subway station which I agree is important). I'd also agree that Hotel Gansevoort (not Gansevoort Park) could be a good option.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daughter and boyfriend heading to NYC Sept - Where to stay?

Another vote for the Standard Highline

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1218720…

& I'll also add The Dream Downtown (reviews linked below)-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d2173604…

Also if they check out www.ohmyrockness.com & www.timeout.com/newyork they will probably be able to plan their evenings better & here is a pretty easy list of typical daytime site seeing if the need to fill their itenerary-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23092-Must_dos…

Nice present- I hope they have fun.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,486 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daughter and boyfriend heading to NYC Sept - Where to stay?

You've gotten some great suggestions. This is quite a birthday gift. You should know that Sept. is one of the most expensive times of the year in hotels so I think you might take a big gulp when you see prices at some of these places. $400/night at that time of year (esp. when hotel taxes add ~15% to the price) will limit your options. I'll also mention that while the weather is gorgeous, it may not be warm enough for outdoor swimming and many of the pools may be closed for the season. The rooftop bars will likely be open and they do have space heaters for cooler nights. I assume you realize it stands to reason that no one hotel can be close to everything. This is a working city where things are spread out as in most cities.

oyster.com

is a good website to look at photos of many of the hotels and they also have lists for things like best boutique hotel, best rooftop hotel bars etc. Caveat...their photos are getting dated. They often don't have photos of renovations.

tablethotels.com

is a site specializing in boutique hotels and they claim booking with them will get you an upgrade if available. I would also check pricing on

quikbook.com

as they can be good for boutique hotels.

You've been given accurate info that lower Manhattan is younger and trendier. The lower east side/east village are the best areas for restaurants. The Nolitan in an area known as Nolita looks to be one of the better options witnin your budget. The Standard East Village is also within budget (sorry to hear Ozgirl wasn't happy there.) And while the downtown areas are younger and trendier, there are trendy boutique hotels in or close to midtown that might be a good compromise for a 5 night stay putting them closer to theaters (if they plan to go) and midtown sightseeing. 6 Columbus has a rooftop bar and is in a good location

PS the Crosby hotel that you mention is one of the coolest in town, but will be well above budget.

new york
Level Contributor
910 posts
1,097 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daughter and boyfriend heading to NYC Sept - Where to stay?

$400 sounds good to me. I did notice today two hotels that are surprisingly well located and may be affordable-- Indigo and Hilton Garden Inn on W 28th between 6th and 7th. This is the flower district so 6 mornings a week there is a wholesale flower market- I don't think either hotel would have a noise problem, but can't say for sure. There are all the standard eateries on 6th and a bus uptown and an easy walk to Penn Station. On 7th right at 28th there is a west side number 1 subway stop good for Brooklyn and uptown. On 6th at 23rd is the F good for Lower East Side and Brooklyn. This also is close to the High Line and the west side path for citibike rentals. Easy walk to Chelsea Market.

London
Level Contributor
140 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daughter and boyfriend heading to NYC Sept - Where to stay?

I quite like the Washington Square Hotel, it's a great location with a lively local feel than the touristy midtown. Lots of nice bars and restaurants in striking distance