We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours of Woolworth Building lobby are now available

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
10 reviews
Tours of Woolworth Building lobby are now available

http://woolworthtours.com/

On one hand, it's good to have access to the lobby again, although on a very limited basis. On the other hand, I'm uncomfortable with charging people to see a lobby that used to be available as a walk-in, look-around with a descriptive brochure. And it wasn't like mobs of people ever stopped there so it can't be a crowd-control issue.

If anyone does this, please report back and let us know if you thought it was a good deal, and if they include the balconies.

Edited: 8:10 am, July 05, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
1. Re: Tours of Woolworth Building lobby are now available

Thanks for the info.

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
152 reviews
2. Re: Tours of Woolworth Building lobby are now available

Thank you very much, Battery Park.

I got tickets for later this month. I’ll report back. If you go, please let us know what you thought of the lobby tour.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Tours of Woolworth Building lobby are now available

I saw it for free many years ago so I'll let the tourists have a go at it! :-)

I remember thinking the balcony murals were way cool so go up there if you get a chance.

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
152 reviews
4. Re: Tours of Woolworth Building lobby are now available

Battery Park- Years ago, my husband (boyfriend at the time) and I walked into the lobby of the Woolworth Building. We got on an elevator and went to one of the upper floors. I don’t recall any details of the building or the floor we were on. All I remember is buying a candy bar from a vending machine before heading back down to the lobby.

Could I be the reason the lobby was closed to the public??? (Just kidding!)

It’s my husband’s favorite NYC building. He’s looking forward to the “tour.”

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
447 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Tours of Woolworth Building lobby are now available

Its a beautiful iconic building with an impressive lobby. Think i'll just bite the bullet and pay the $10 to go see it.

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
471 posts
708 reviews
6. Re: Tours of Woolworth Building lobby are now available

Thanks for posting this Battery Park.

I'm arriving next weekend and fancy a look so will book for next Tuesday.

Also hoping to get to the Skyscraper museum to see the centenary exhibition, I was pleased it is running longer than I first understood it would. Now runs until 8th September.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Tours of Woolworth Building lobby are now available

Thanks for the heads-up, I just bookmarked the site:)

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
471 posts
708 reviews
8. Re: Tours of Woolworth Building lobby are now available

I took the tour of the lobby and for me the $10 price was worth it. The guide, I think her name was Gail, was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. The lobby is so beautiful, the tour also went down to the lower floor where there is a room of safety deposit boxes left from a bank who used the building and the tour was shown the old subway entrance steps. But the jewel is the lobby of course, go if you can!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
9. Re: Tours of Woolworth Building lobby are now available

Thanks for the review, big-blue-eyes. Very helpful.

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
471 posts
708 reviews
10. Re: Tours of Woolworth Building lobby are now available

Oh and another cool thing was Cass Gilbert's (the Woolwoerth Building architect) granddaughter just happened to be in the building at the time and those on the tour got to met her. She was one of those instrumental to allowing the tours to happen.