We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in New Jersey

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in New Jersey

Hi, I am from Belfast, Northern Ireland. I wonder if you can help me. We are going to New York, next May. I have seen two hotels that look good. Hampton Inn, Linden New Jersey and Best Western Plus Robert Treat New Jersey. Could anybody advise me on best one to stay in for getting to Manhatten for sightseeing. Which one is in the safest area, any help.

Pat,

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
New York
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
New York
New York
United States
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in New Jersey

Here is a summary of many of the New Jersey hotels that are used for visiting NYC:

www.broadwayfocus/nj_nyc/

But, it is always better to stay in NYC than commuting from New Jersey. And, for example, there are good value hotels in Long Island City, Queens, which are a short subway ride away from Manhattan.

Edited: 9:54 am, July 04, 2013
Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Queens
Queens
New York
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in New Jersey

I left out the .com.....try this one...

www.broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/

Edited: 9:57 am, July 04, 2013
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
18,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in New Jersey

Before you decide here to book a hotel, you need to determine whether staying at a less expensive hotel that is farther out is a real way to economize.

If you do not stay in an area with access to either the NYC Subway or the PATH train, you are faced with more complicated - and more expensive - travel into Manhattan. This can eat up a chunk of whatever money you might think you are saving. Price out travel costs and check public transportation schedules from the location you are considering and see what the real cost is in both money AND time.

NYC is also a place that you will want to stay out late some nights. Even if your budget can't stretch to Broadway tickets, walking around Times Square or the Village or taking the Staten Island Ferry at night is free and a memory you will have for the rest of your life. You want to be in a place where it is convenient/comfortable for you to get back to your hotel.

AND the amount of your precious vacation time that you spend on getting in and out of the city may also really impact the amount of time you can enjoy seeing the all the city has to offer.

If you truly value your own time, money and quality of experience, you need to think about those trade offs.

There are a wide variety of options/prices from Hostels, YMCA's and other hotels that might give you a much better quality of visit. (If you do some searching on this website and forum, you will find some info. about budget options, etc. that might help.)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in New Jersey

Unless you are arriving at Newark airport, staying in New Jersey is a terrible idea.if you are using Newark, staying at a hotel near a PATH train station is a much better idea for price, ease of travel and proximity to NYC vs. the locations you mention. If you're looking for prices cheaper than Manhattan and arriving at JFK or LGA, a hotel n Long Island City near a subway is a much better option. Look at the Verve.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
603 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in New Jersey

I would only stay at the four hotels listed on the broadwayfocus webapge under Jersey City. I've actually stayed at 3 of those hotels (Westin, Doubletree & Hyatt, with my fav being the Westin) and I thought they were a great compromise, since my mother doesn't want to drive into the city (and I wasn't driving at the time). The PATH is near the hotels, runs 24/24 (some lines) if I am not mistaken and it's very safe.

I'm staying in Manhattan next time I'm in NYC but wouldn't hesitate staying at any of those hotels in the future. Hotwire & Priceline sometimes have great deals on those hotels.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in New Jersey

I realize no one has answered your original questions and I'll try. The Robert Treat hotel is in Newark, NJ, one of the highest crime cities in the country. The hotel is fine and the immediate area around the hotel is ok but imo, it's not close enough to a train station to be able to walk safely so you'd need to depend on the hotel shuttle. I'm not familiar with the hotel in Linden or the area, but google maps puts transportation by public bus at over an hour from Manhattan.

http://goo.gl/maps/ZQ5ur

If I come to visit Belfast, do you recommend I stay an hour away?

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Belfast
Belfast
New York
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in New Jersey

PS, I don't know if you realize that hotel prices fluctuate dramatically by date. May is an expensive time in hotels. If you come Jan-March or mid April, prices are usually MUCH cheaper.

8. Re: Hotel in New Jersey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 06, 2014