We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the best way to get from jfk to LaGuardia

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
what is the best way to get from jfk to LaGuardia

hey ,

wanted to ask what is the best way to get from jfk to LaGuardia , i have 4 hours between two flight.

thanks

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,913 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the best way to get from jfk to LaGuardia

Take a taxi. Make sure you go to the official taxi line with yellow taxis. Ignore touts.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what is the best way to get from jfk to LaGuardia

Four hours is not enough time. Your only option is to take a cab, and even in a cab you may not make it.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,924 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is the best way to get from jfk to LaGuardia

I think that unless your plane is 1.5 hours late, you will be okay. You probably have to be at JFK 2.5 hours before your flight leaves.

Even a bus and train will only take about 1 hour or a tad more. Q33 to Jackson Hts, then the E to Sutphin/Jamaica/JFK, then the Air train for 10 minutes to your terminal.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,032 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is the best way to get from jfk to LaGuardia

You should make it but you are cutting it close. Assuming you arrive on time from Israel ( what time are you arriving) it can take up to 1.5 hours to clear immigration when the airport is very busy. Then you have to get your luggage. ( if the airport is backed up they may have taken luggage off the belt and put it on the side) After you get your luggage you walk through customs and hope that you are not selected to have your suitcase opened. Then, go to the official taxi line. Depending upon traffic ( and there is ALWAYS traffic) it can take an hour to get from airport to airport. I live midway between the two airports and at times it is just horrendous. ( think route 1 entering Tel Aviv in the AM, coming from Jerusalem and there is no "fast lane" )

Where are you flying to at LGA? Can you make a later flight?

NOrth of DC--they are STARTING at JFK. Also, there is also time spent, getting Metro cards, finding your way around etc. etc. I would NOT recommend public transport when there is such a close connection.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what is the best way to get from jfk to LaGuardia

Thy will have to be able to drop checked luggage at the baggage desk absolutely no later than 60 minutes before their flight, or they will be denied boarding. That usually means arriving at the airport no later than 1:15 or 1:30 before their flight. Given that the cab will take about an hour, that leaves 2.5 hours to deplane, get through immigration, collect luggage, and get in a cab. That's not a lot of time.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,924 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what is the best way to get from jfk to LaGuardia

Sorry I misunderstood: I thought it was LGA -> JFK.

If you are going through customs: Four hours is probably not enough, but if you are very lucky, you might do it.

As #4 wrote, it's the Customs that is going to delay you most likely. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Take a taxi from JFK; you could do it if the traffic is just "average" crowded.

And I also believe you only have to check your luggage at LGA 1/2 hour before the plane leaves. You can check with the second airline.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what is the best way to get from jfk to LaGuardia

there's also the airport bus http://www.nycairporter.com/

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what is the best way to get from jfk to LaGuardia

I agree that traffic can be horrendous and you have to be prepared for that. However, just yesterday, due to our flight's being cancelled into LGA, we had to fly into JFK. We took a cab to LGA (our car was at The Parking Spot there) - took about 20 minutes - some traffic on the Van Wyck, essentially no traffic on the Grand Central. I guess we were lucky in that regard in spite of the fact that we had spent about 6 hours at the Pittsburgh airport.

9. Re: what is the best way to get from jfk to LaGuardia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 03, 2014