We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie: Planning 2014 Trip - Legal Vacation Rentals

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie: Planning 2014 Trip - Legal Vacation Rentals

Hey everyone,

I am currently in the early stages (research) of planning my first ever trip to NYC, whilst trying to contain my excitement!! I have been lurking on the forum for the past few week...finding it very helpful by the way. Therefore I am aware of vacation rentals under 30 days being illegal. However, whilst visiting the NYC Insider Guide website I noticed that they recommended short stay apartments through 'StaysmartNYC'', apparently totally legal. So I decided to check them out and contact the owner/manager via email for a price, which seemed extremely good compared to other hotel/apartment prices. However, I was wondering if you NYC Experts have ever heard of these apartments or know anything about them??? Furthermore I would like to thank you all in advance as I will have many questions (which I hope will be sensible) in the incoming months!! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie: Planning 2014 Trip - Legal Vacation Rentals

We have heard of them and you should avoid them. Search the forum, they have been discussed before.

Stay in a hotel. If you want more space or a kitchen, stay in an apartment hotel.

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie: Planning 2014 Trip - Legal Vacation Rentals

OK thanks very much, I thought it sounded to good to be true!! I will return when I need some hotel advise in the near future, a little bit early since the trip isn't til September 2014!! Many thanks.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,089 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie: Planning 2014 Trip - Legal Vacation Rentals

September is a very pricey time for NYC lodging. If you are still in the planning stages, you may want to consider coming at another time.

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie: Planning 2014 Trip - Legal Vacation Rentals

Hey Christnp2,

Thank you for your response. The trip is a present for my boyfriend's 30th (August 2014) and also a way to celebrate my University Graduation which is in July 2014. A few friends and family members have warned me to stay away in August due to the humidity, being Irish I honestly think it would kill me!! So that only leaves September when prices are over the top :( :( I don't know what to do now!!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie: Planning 2014 Trip - Legal Vacation Rentals

Save..save..save..

Once you sort out your hotel and flight(which will be expensive), you an save some $$ in other ways(meals, free things to do, etc.)

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie: Planning 2014 Trip - Legal Vacation Rentals

Oh I came across very decent prices in the Comfort Inn Times Square? Can anyone tell me what it's like? Would absolutely love to be near Times Square so we can take a walk around it in the evenings if we don't have much planned!! Typical that I would end up picking one of the most expensive times to visit :(

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie: Planning 2014 Trip - Legal Vacation Rentals

Come as early in the month as you can. It's usually cheapest before or around our Labor Day holiday, next year on September 1.

Things to avoid if possible as they increase hotel rates:

NY Fashion Week

UN General Assembly

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie: Planning 2014 Trip - Legal Vacation Rentals

Hey Kateoz, thank you for your wise words!! OK early in the month it is then :) I absolutely love what I've heard about September weather in NYC so I'm hoping it will be the trip of a lifetime with perfect temps!! Can you provide any feedback on the Comfort Inn Times Square please?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbie: Planning 2014 Trip - Legal Vacation Rentals

I think you're way early to make reservations, but if you've found something that's in your budget, and it's cancellable, it wouldn't be a bad idea to book it for now. I see two Comfort Inn's calling themselves Times Square and either would be a decent location and no frills hotel.

Make something now, then keep checking as time gets closer. If you're a gambler you could also try Priceline's NYOP when it gets closer, check out betterbidding.com for tips before bidding.

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie: Planning 2014 Trip - Legal Vacation Rentals

Hey Scott,

Yea I think it's far too early to price hotels and flights, planning to do that in Oct/Nov. However, preparing myself and doing some research is def a lot of fun and very informative, preparing me for the worst also! I have so many questions but I will not bore you all when there are people at more advanced stages of planning that need fast answers lol. Thanks guys, I'm so pleased with all the help I have received as a newbie!