We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metrocard and New Years Day

Margaret River
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Metrocard and New Years Day

Hi can you tell me where to buy a metrocard, and do I ned cash or can I pay with credit card? Looking at a 7 day card.

Also we will be in NYC for 8 days before and after NYE. We are changing hotels on new year day and thought we might walk the Brooklyn Bridge in the afternoon. Can anyone tell me if everything shuts down for the day or will there still be restaurants etc open on New Years day? We thought a lazy afternoon might be in order, and since we are moving to Downtown area that might be a nice way to spend the afternoon. Also open to other suggestions. Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metrocard and New Years Day

My understanding is that you can use a Credit Card but if you want to buy more than 4 cards then you'll need a different card for the 5th and subsequent metro cards.

We were in NYC for New Year's Day 2013 ...pretty much easy enough to do anything you like. We went to the Guggenheim at opening time and the queue was a mile long! We would have caught a bus up there and I don't remember it being a problem.

Sure the locals with lots more experience than me will explain more thoroughly (and correct me if I am wrong!). But they might be asleep so you'll have to wait till tonight for them to respond.

Have a lovely holiday.

Edited: 11:36 pm, June 26, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metrocard and New Years Day

Does your credit card have a U.S. billing address (and a zip code)? If so, you can use it to purchase a metrocard. If not, you need to have cash.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metrocard and New Years Day

I thought non - USA cards could be used and you enter 5 zeros for the zip code. (We used cash as we weren't sure what we'd do if a machine not at a bank 'swallowed' our card!).

Margaret River
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metrocard and New Years Day

it would be an Australian card, so might try and take cash. is there anywhere in particular you buy them or just at a subway station?

Thanks for your advice Jenny, will wait and see what the NY locals say when they wake up!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,664 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Metrocard and New Years Day

You do not need to have a US Billing address. Just enter any five digits for the zip code.

You can only purchase two Metrocards at a time with a credit card.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,664 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Metrocard and New Years Day

And yes, you can buy them at any subway station.

Margaret River
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metrocard and New Years Day

Thankyou BrklynBridge

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metrocard and New Years Day

two cards...I knew that...why did my fingers type four??? good grief! Sorry

9. Re: Metrocard and New Years Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 29, 2014