We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any great hotel deals for Labor Day weekend?

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Any great hotel deals for Labor Day weekend?

Thinking of "coming home" for Labor Day weekend and wondering if anyone has spotted great hotel deals? Max would probably be $300 or so (excl tax), but would love to find something cheaper. 3-4 nights and a bit flexible about exactly which dates we come and go (as long as it includes that weekend).

It's two of us and it's the first time we're visiting NYC together. (I grew up there and have visited often since I left. He's been just a few times)

Ideal wish list:

- Queen or king bed preferred (but not an absolute must). Good A/C.

- A decent view of something more than a wall would be nice.

- A refrigerator (even if an extra fee) would be great, but we can live without it.

- GREAT walking neighborhood. We love to walk and explore until our knees buckle.

- We are foodies, so proximity to markets and eclectic restaurants would be great.

- Nice local bars (need not be ultra chic and trendy - we are getting old!)

- We also enjoy artsy markets and independent galleries (bonus points for affordable "up and coming" artist galleries).

- Thinking LES/Chinatown/Soho but other neighborhood suggestions are very welcome. Should we consider Chelsea?

Neighborhoody feel preferred over major crowded tourist sites and endless skyscrapers. We would consider staying in midtown, but it's not our first preference.

Yes, we will take the subway to get where we "want" and "plan" to go, but we would also like to do a lot of fun walking and exploring with the hotel as our base and no particular itinerary.

I'll admit that I'm not all that familiar with Brooklyn, but I'm wondering whether this could be an interesting choice for us. Any insights? Williamsburg? Maybe better to plan a day there rather than stay there? Or is it a good fit for our interests and hotel wish list?

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any great hotel deals for Labor Day weekend?

Keep an eye on www.travelzoo.com

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any great hotel deals for Labor Day weekend?

Thanks for the tip. I'll continue to keep an eye on travelzoo.

Anyone have neighborhood ideas or feedback? Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any great hotel deals for Labor Day weekend?

The Wyndham Garden Chinatown (relatively new, modern good location) and the Hotel Mulberry are 2 worth checking out for location. The Williamsburg Hotels are mostly not that much cheaper than staying in Manhattan. Hotel Americano is another idea but just slightly over your budget ($320).

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any great hotel deals for Labor Day weekend?

I'm an UWS fan but would love to stay sometime in Soho or LES. I'm a Priceline NYOP guy, but you've got to be a bit of a gambler for that.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any great hotel deals for Labor Day weekend?

Scott, you can't really use PL for Soho or LES as those areas aren't separated on PL from other areas you might not want (financial district for ex.) I also don't think there are any LES hotels on Priceline but you can check on the list on

betterbidding.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any great hotel deals for Labor Day weekend?

PS came back to this thread to say to OP, in your shoes I'd book something cancelable now even if it's not on a special deal. It used to be there were great deals for Labor Day, but these days, people have figured that out and NYC has become a more popular option for that holiday weekend. Even if it's not a special deal on travelzoo or the like, it should still be priced for a less busy time.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any great hotel deals for Labor Day weekend?

Thanks Whiz! We will definitely check out your recs, and book something while we decide if it's a go.

@Scott S, I've stayed in the Soho/LES area and in the UWS. I enjoyed both, but highly recommend trying LES, even if you have to pay non-mystery-hotel prices. There can be some good deals when it's not prime time.

For my immediate needs, this year late August seems a bit more prime-ish than it has been in years past -- possibly due to increased European travel?, or like Whiz says, the word is out! (probably due to this forum!) Oh well, it's only money.

8. Re: Any great hotel deals for Labor Day weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 27, 2014