Thinking of "coming home" for Labor Day weekend and wondering if anyone has spotted great hotel deals? Max would probably be $300 or so (excl tax), but would love to find something cheaper. 3-4 nights and a bit flexible about exactly which dates we come and go (as long as it includes that weekend).
It's two of us and it's the first time we're visiting NYC together. (I grew up there and have visited often since I left. He's been just a few times)
Ideal wish list:
- Queen or king bed preferred (but not an absolute must). Good A/C.
- A decent view of something more than a wall would be nice.
- A refrigerator (even if an extra fee) would be great, but we can live without it.
- GREAT walking neighborhood. We love to walk and explore until our knees buckle.
- We are foodies, so proximity to markets and eclectic restaurants would be great.
- Nice local bars (need not be ultra chic and trendy - we are getting old!)
- We also enjoy artsy markets and independent galleries (bonus points for affordable "up and coming" artist galleries).
- Thinking LES/Chinatown/Soho but other neighborhood suggestions are very welcome. Should we consider Chelsea?
Neighborhoody feel preferred over major crowded tourist sites and endless skyscrapers. We would consider staying in midtown, but it's not our first preference.
Yes, we will take the subway to get where we "want" and "plan" to go, but we would also like to do a lot of fun walking and exploring with the hotel as our base and no particular itinerary.
I'll admit that I'm not all that familiar with Brooklyn, but I'm wondering whether this could be an interesting choice for us. Any insights? Williamsburg? Maybe better to plan a day there rather than stay there? Or is it a good fit for our interests and hotel wish list?
Thanks for any ideas and suggestions!