We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macys thanksgiving Day Parade 2013

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Macys thanksgiving Day Parade 2013

We're thinking of coming up to New York for Thanksgiving 2013. We would like to see the Parade and not freeze. (We're from South Florida) Many years ago I went to the parade and had breakfast at one of the hotels and was allowed to stay and watch from their windows and balcony. I don't remember which hotel. I'm looking to do something like that again. Any suggestions on where we can do this? Is there a hotel that I can stay at, without selling my kidney, on the route that I can see the parade from inside? we would like to be as close to the stage as possible since we would like to see all that the parade has to offer. Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macys thanksgiving Day Parade 2013

The area near the stage outside Macy's is for VIPs and ticket holders only. If you want to see that, you need to watch on TV.

Yes, hotel rooms with views of the parade will cost you a kidney.

Robert at the Museum of Art and Design may have an event:

http://robertnyc.com/

Otherwise, just line up on Central Park West in the 60s and get there around 6am to guarantee a good spot.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macys thanksgiving Day Parade 2013

The parade used to go from 77th Street & CPW down to Columbus Circle, then down Broadway to 34th Street. SInce last year, it turns left at Columbus Circle, goes over one avenue to 6th Avenue, and then goes down 6th Avenue to 34th Street. (Broadway and 6th Avenue cross at 34th Street = Herald Square).

You'd need to find a hotel along that route: CPW between 77th & 59th Streets, CPS between 6th & 7th Avenues, or 6th Avenue between 59th & 34th Streets. You'd need a room (or an accessible common area) on a low floor with windows facing the street. You'd probably need to pay a kidney.

Although anything could happen, usually the weather at Thanksgiving is still pretty pleasant, 40s to 60s. So not Florida, but not bitterly cold. maybe if you just bundle up...? :)

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macys thanksgiving Day Parade 2013

Hola StefanT

For 20+ years we were among the 80 makeup artists that paint the faces on the 700-800 clowns that annually walk in the Macy’s parade. We churn them out between 5AM - 8 AM at the New Yorker Hotel and at that point they are bussed uptown to the start of the parade. Can you imagine 700-800+ adults and kids lining up to be costumed, painted and powdered and then bussed uptown to where the parade starts? What a treat to be able to sit in the lobby for that sight on Thanksgiving morning. Note: The last time we did this was 3 years ago, but believe that this is still the place.

In past years we have either gone to the starting point with the “clowns” --it is a hoot there standing with the on-lookers and can be crowded, but so is the rest of the route-- or we have gone to stand with the camera crews in front of Macy’s to watch the professional acts (many are from Broadway shows). But, ultimately, we found that the best views of the parade, floats, balloons and the professional performers are at home on the couch in front of the TV.

If you are watching the parade along the route, you are likely to miss the professional acts in front of Macy’s. And if you are lucky enough to get a seat or standing room in front of Macy’s, you lose the perspective of the crowds. And in either case, you are likely to be cold and/or wet as it often rains on Thanksgiving Day. The TV gives a superior prospective on the entire event and is much more comfortable.

Bottom line: If you LOVE crowds and MUST have the experience of the parade, then go. We recommend standing along Central Park West a few blocks south (below) of the line-up on the west side of the avenue. Stay away from the area around Macy’s. It will get VERY crowded in those locations. In any case, start the adventure with an empty bladder!

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macys thanksgiving Day Parade 2013

thanks for all the responses

what about tickets to the Rockettes, I'm thinking the day before

Stefan

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macys thanksgiving Day Parade 2013

I will be there for the day of the parade, coming from Canada. I just purchased my tickets for the Rocketts (performance Nov 28) 30 minutes ago. There is a 50% off sale tickets as of today off Travelzoo.com for almost all days of the performance. There you will receive the discount code. Hope this helps!

6. Re: Macys thanksgiving Day Parade 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 15, 2014