We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ny state vacation plan needed

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
292 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ny state vacation plan needed

My husband and I would love some advise in planning a 2 week car trip end of July . Coming from Cincinnati we will spend a few days in the city then head north, but where? We enjoy kayaking and hiking, art, music, good food, places with charm and character, so possibilities are Adirondaks, Finger Lakes, Ithica, ... Please help!!

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ny state vacation plan needed

You are in the New York City Forum Trip Advisor. I suggest you post your question on the New York Trip Advisor Forum. You will probably get more responses there. Have fun on your trip and drive safely!

Edited: 9:33 pm, June 22, 2013
ny, ny
Level Contributor
91 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ny state vacation plan needed

On your way upstate check out Bethel Woods - the site of Woodstock - and the museum there. It is great. Also maybe catch a show depending on who's playing at the ampi-theatre. Def post in the other forums, but this idea popped into mind as it gets you right into the heart of the state.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,828 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ny state vacation plan needed

The whole Hudson Valley area can be very interesting, lots of historical houses, wineries, etc.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g2663029-Hudson_Rive…

Also Saratoga Springs is nice.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g48562-Saratoga_Spri…

then you could either go west into upstate NY or east into VT, NH, etc.

New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ny state vacation plan needed

How about Mohonk Mountain House? Plenty of hiking and plenty of charm!

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ny state vacation plan needed

You could stop at Bear Mountain and then at West Point to take a tour - it's beautiful up there.

Another place that seems to be a favorite among posters on this forum - Niagara Falls - however, I'd recommend going to the Canadian side.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ny state vacation plan needed

Usually, I would recommend Saratoga as a nice place to visit, but racing season begins July 19th this year. Unless you are interested in Horse Racing, you should avoid the region. It is very busy and prices are inflated during that time. If you stay in the Lake George Region, you could visit for a day or two. (Saratoga is 30 minutes from Lake George Village) The Hyde Museum in Glens Falls has a special Georgia O' Keeffe exhibit this summer. http://www.hydecollection.org

If it's not too far, you could consider Lake Placid, Burlington, and Montreal. They are all beautiful destinations, and meet your criteria. Have a great trip!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
292 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ny state vacation plan needed

Thanks for the suggestions and please keep 'em coming!! I did post on the New York site but no one answered me :(

I appreciate not only the places to go, but places to avoid for that time of year. Good advice that we will heed and need!

staten island
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ny state vacation plan needed

Thanks for the heads up about the exhibit, jkelly. I'm now planning a short trip.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ny state vacation plan needed

Excellent news, georgiaStatenIsland! You will not be disappointed with the Hyde. It's worth the trip!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,975 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ny state vacation plan needed

The Berkshires!

Tanglewood for music and dance.

http://www.eventticketscenter.com/ResultsVenue.aspx?venid=125&vname=Tanglewood+Music+Center

Mass MOCA &Clark Institute

http://www.clarkart.edu/

http://www.berkshiresartsfestival.com/

theberkshires24-7.com/berkshire-county-perfo…

Lots of kayaking and hiking too. Bash Bish falls