We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC 1st time pick out honeymoon hotel?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
NYC 1st time pick out honeymoon hotel?

Hi

I have posted before but still unsure of what to do.Would love specific advice re a honeymoon hotel in August for 1st timers and honeymooners to NY. The following all come in at similar prices .. we are late 30s and like places that are relaxed and not stuffy/pretentious..don't mind if touristy...like a good bar scene - tempted by rooftop bars in summer but just want the best all round hotel- hopeful for upgrade- nice room /good location/value for money -

The Muse/ The Sanctuary/Waldorf Astoria/Sofitel/ New York Palace or suggest any others that are comparable in price/standard/rating - close to Central park/ Upper West Side and Times Square.Want to be near west side of Central Park as near friends who we want to visit.

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC 1st time pick out honeymoon hotel?

You can visit friends from anywhere in Manhattan very easily. The subway is very efficient. Of those hotels, I would pick the NY Palace. Not the Waldorf Astoria, it's dated. The Muse and Sanctuary are both quite modern, small rooms. The rooftop bar at the Sanctuary is ok, but not a reason to stay there.

8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC 1st time pick out honeymoon hotel?

We are staying at Ink48 on our honeymoon, you might like it, but it's in Hell's Kitchen

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC 1st time pick out honeymoon hotel?

I would also go NY Palace out of those. We looked into staying at the WA for our first trip, but all research indicated it really isn't up to the standard that you would associate with the name. We loved the look of the NY Palace but it was out of our budget in December. The only thing is that it's possibly not the 'trendy' hotel you are looking for - have you had a look at the Gansevoort Park?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,902 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC 1st time pick out honeymoon hotel?

The Palace has been under construction/renovation for some time. I'm not sure what condition it will be in by August. It has no rooftop bar or any outdoor space except a front courtyard that I've noticed people use for smoking. The public spaces are beautiful (historic) but quite grand/formal. There are stunning views of St. Patrick's cathedral and the city from the higher floors but it doesn't sound like the kind of place you want. It's on the east side on Madison ave.

The Muse is a very nice, modern hotel in Times Square but not in the middle of the madness (a very good thing). But it offers no outdoor space at all. But of your list, it comes closest to what you say you want.

oyster.com/new-york-city/…

The Sanctuary is an old hotel that's been rehabbed to be trendy. Most rooms are small and many have a strange set up (because of lack of space) where the bathroom is open to the bedroom.

The Waldorf is a grand old hotel with dated rooms and is on the east side, like the Palace.

I think none of these are ideal for what you say you want. If you provide dates and budget we might be able to offer some options. Ink48 is closer to what you want but it's very far west and about 15 min. walk to the nearest subway station. Have a look at the Strand.

oyster.com/new-york-city/hotels/the-strand/

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC 1st time pick out honeymoon hotel?

My husband and I really like the small chain of boutique hotels that includes the Casablanca and the Giraffe. We stayed at the Casablanca for our honeymoon - right by Times Square so we could see the ball drop on NYE from the roof - and at the Giraffe (on Park Ave in Flatiron) for the babymoon a couple of years later. We're staying at the Library this December coming - cant wait. They are really lovely, and make you feel like you're being pampered. The Giraffe and Library both have roof terrace bars. I would recommend any of them in a heartbeat.

And congratulations too!

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
293 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC 1st time pick out honeymoon hotel?

We have just booked a deluxe room at the Strand for our honeymoon in February.

The rooftop bar looks amazing (but pricey) but the views look worth it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC 1st time pick out honeymoon hotel?

Hey pinkythecat:-) If you're looking for something on the UWS close to Central Park, you may want to take a look at The Lucerne.. relaxed and non stuffy;-) Great, mostly residential area packed with local bars along Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues.. you've also got Riverside Park along the Hudson River a few blocks west on the other side of you as well;-) Public transport practically at your doorstep but regardless, an easy walk to Midtown/Times Square area if you so choose;-) Best and congrats.. always EnJOY!

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC 1st time pick out honeymoon hotel?

The Library with a large room or upgrade would be intimate with some nice social spaces.

9. Re: NYC 1st time pick out honeymoon hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 25, 2014