We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to keep track of locations and how to get there

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
how to keep track of locations and how to get there

I have my itinerary laid out for my 6 day trip but I'm not sure how detailed I should be planning it. I.e should i include the exact subways I need to take and routes? Considering I won't have any internet across when im there... Should I print out my trip plan to a High level of detail? How do the rest of you guys manage to find all the places you need to goto?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to keep track of locations and how to get there

You won't need that level of detail. Just know the nearest cross streets -- most of Manhattan is laid out in a grid so it's easy to figure out how to get where you're going. The parts that aren't in a grid are in lower manhattan. So when you get here ask for a subway map (you can get them at a subway booth) and keep in mind the distinction between uptown/downtoan (ie, going north vs south) and cross-town (east-west).

Don't be afraid to ask for directions -- you'll find that most people are quite helpful. Also remember that you can transfer between subways and busses for free. Busses run along all the major streets.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to keep track of locations and how to get there

I have a recipe-sized card for every day (4x6?) and on it I do include exact subway lines, opening times, addresses and phone numbers of restaurants, etc. Very easy to slip into your purse, unobtrusive to refer to.

West Covina...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how to keep track of locations and how to get there

Would you mind sharing your itinerary. I am also going for 6 days & I dont know where to start!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to keep track of locations and how to get there

Thanks for the advice guys!

As for my itinerary, I tried grouping things based on the location and proximity of the places I wanted to go.

Sunday, June 30th

- Arrival early in the morning, likely be tired so this day will be kept fairly light.

- Check out Rockefeller Centre

- Shop @ 5th Avenue

- Grand Central Terminal

Monday, July 1st

- Spend the day at SoHo shopping.

- Night time: Visit Empire State Building or Broadway Show

Tuesday, July 2nd

- Central Park

- Visit the MET

- Night time: Visit Empire State Building or Broadway Show

Wednesday, July 3rd

- Explore Little Italy/Chinatown/Lower East Side

- Walk the Brooklyn Bridge

- Night time: Visit Empire State Building, Broadway Show OR Times Square

Thursday, July 4th

- Visit 9/11 Memorial, Wall Street, Battery Park

- Night time: Visit Empire State Building, Broadway Show OR Times Square

Friday, July 5th (departure at 7:30pm)

- Day is completely open to do things that we may have missed and to check out things lower on our priority list such as Greenwich Village, MoMA, Central Park Zoo etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to keep track of locations and how to get there

Not answering your question (that's such a personal thing) but I STRONGLY suggest you make Greeenwich Village a high priority, over and above many of the things you list as important. It,s the area of Manhattan most people like the best. It's just north of Soho and is more charming than any other area on your itin.

Most people prefer Top of the Rock to ESB. I certainly wouldnt use up an entire evening for the ESB. It's open til I think 1 or 2 am. If you have to go and want to do it at night, you can easily see a show and go to ESB after. The later you go, the less crowded.

If theater isn't high on your list, go to hear some live music, or a comedy show, or a dance performance.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: how to keep track of locations and how to get there

If you have a smartphone, there are apps which allow routing offline. You will just need to know where you are since you won't be able to use location services. If not, once you've ridden the subway a couple of times, you will have an easy time figuring out which train to take. The only times it got a bit confusing for us were when it made sense to go uptown to catch a transfer to get to our downtown destination. It was counter-intuitive.

I also used index cards last year for our first trip with a listing of our itinerary and especially some of the minor sights that we wanted to see enroute to our bigger destinations. I didn't include subway on this, though.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to keep track of locations and how to get there

If you do ToTR, note that it's better during the day (or at sunset) vs. ESB, which is better at night. Here are a few suggestions for your itinerary:

Sunday 6/30 - you can add in ToTR while at Rockefeller Center and Bryant Park and the NY Public Library en route from there to Grand Central. Or you could add in MoMA, which is pretty close to Rockefeller Center and the 5th Avenue shops you'll be visiting.

Monday 7/1 - you would have to be really hard core to spend the whole day shopping in SoHo. Go up and explore the Village on this day as well. You might even be able to make it up to Union Square (it's a greenmarket day) and Madison Square Park/Flatiron Building.

Tuesday 7/2 - you can visit the Central Park zoo while visiting Central Park; you have plenty of time for it on this day.

Wednesday 7/3 - if you go to a Broadway show one night, you'll see the lights of Times Square after. Times Square doesn't need to be a separate visit.

Friday 7/4 - keep in mind that this is our Independence Day holiday. You might want to go somewhere in the evening where you can watch the fireworks.

Saturday 7/5 - you can do things you didn't get to or other things you discovered, that caught your eye. Your days aren't packed, so you can probably do some improvising and add in an extra stop or two day by day (which is a good thing).

Enjoy your trip!

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
520 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to keep track of locations and how to get there

You dont even need cards etc of subway lines/times.

I just got back from there and used the mta website's "trip planner" which came in so so handy.

Seattle
Level Contributor
609 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how to keep track of locations and how to get there

I always just use a map that I have to have anyway. I think the one I used for NYC was a streetwise map. I mark the major stuff that I want to see and maybe note what else is in the area. Then decide each day where I want to go that day. Sometimes that can be weather dependent. Subway stations are usually noted on that map so it's easy to determine where I need to go on the subway.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how to keep track of locations and how to get there

Know where things are that you want to visit, then have an actual paper map with you, one which shows the subway lines.

We used one all the time on our visit a couple of weeks ago.