We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary restaurant suggestions please!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary restaurant suggestions please!

My husband and I will be in NYC for our anniversary in Feb. we'd like to go somewhere formal with dinner and dancing... Romantic ... Candles, band or pianist etc. cost isn't a bother just need some ideas.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary restaurant suggestions please!

Dinner and dancing isn't really easy to find.

Some ideas for a restaurant (not dancing):

One if By Land, Two if By Sea (others like it, I think the food is average, but it's romantic)

Gramercy Tavern

Del Posto

Blue Hill

River Cafe

Swing 46 has music and dancing, but I don't think it's what you're looking for:

http://swing46.com/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary restaurant suggestions please!

There are currently no restaurants in NYC that offer an upscale dinner and dancing. The closest you'll get is the dinner cruise on

bateauxnewyork.com

Food is not as good as a fine restaurant on land, but you will get fancy meal, good service and live music with dancing.

Scottsdale AZ
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary restaurant suggestions please!

kateoz, Are there any on your list that do not require jacket and tie? No dancing needed.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary restaurant suggestions please!

I think the only one on kateoz's list that requires jacket is River Cafe. I think even they don't require a tie. The only place I can think of requiring a j and t is 21 Club.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,928 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary restaurant suggestions please!

I'll go out on a limb and add that it is always nice to be dressed for a special dinner that an Anniversary is. How hard is it to wear a jacket, specially if you are wanting something "formal" and "romantic".

Edited: 7:32 pm, June 19, 2013
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,771 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary restaurant suggestions please!

Go to a fabulous restaurant for a wonderful dinner, then go a second location for cocktails and music (jazz maybe?), or dancing.

NYC has odd cabaret laws restricting dancing. Only a small number of places have permits for dancing, and they will not necessarily be your best restaurants, or even your best music..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary restaurant suggestions please!

Really? How strange!

Thanks for the suggestions all. I've had a look at the places suggested so will have to make a decision in the next few months.

What about any cocktail bar/restaurants in the hotels that overlook the city or the Statue of Liberty etc? We have great hotels in Sydney that overlook the Sydney Harbor... so maybe something like that and then we can go out somewhere after?

Also... will it be snowing in Feb?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary restaurant suggestions please!

Here's a full list but not all will be open in Feb. as some are not enclosed.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c67171/New-Yor…

The top of the Peninsula hotel will be open. The Strand hotel roof and the Library hotel roof shoud be open.

You could see some snow in Feb. but it's not guaranteed. Some years we have no snow at all all winter and oter years we get lots.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary restaurant suggestions please!

Perfect thank you. I'll have a look. My husband hasn't been to NYC before so trying to organise a surprise anniversary night. Horse & carriage rides, dinner and dancing etc are really something we can do here unless we plan on spending $500 + on a restaurant so very hopefully we can find something romantic to do. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,928 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary restaurant suggestions please!

My top spots for anniversaries are Jean George and Eleven Madison Park. This year we are going to try Blue Hill.