We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TOTR and sunset timing

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
TOTR and sunset timing

Ok, on my itinerary, I have TOTR set for July 12th at 7PM, and from what I've researched, sunset will be about 8:27 that night. I'm a photographer, so I want to take as many photos as I can with day/sunset/night settings. I thought 7PM might be a great time to get up there, but I was wondering if it was a little too early? Should we come maybe at 7:30?

I don't really have much leeway in our itinerary to get there twice in one day for sun/star tickets, so I wanted to get the best of both.

Also...is it worth it to buy tickets ahead of time with a scheduled arrival, or should we show up at the time we want to get there?

Lastly...is the TOTR and MOMA ticket combo a good deal? they have one for $42 to see TOTR and MOMA, on different days if we want. Convenient for us, as we have plans to get to MOMA the next afternoon. I only want to see Starry Night, so to get the discounted ticket seemed like a great idea as I wouldn't be spending $25 just to see one painting (I'm really NOT an art person, but this is my favorite painting).

Thanks all!!

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TOTR and sunset timing

Hola.

We have been to the ToTR many times and this past September we did the ToTR and ESBon the same day to get some perspective on each. We both prefer the ToTR in the evening because it offers us great views of the ESB all lit in colors appropriate to current events. And if you get to the ToTR just prior to sunset, you get some great views of Central Park and its lakes and ponds.

That said, during daylight hours, we prefer the ESB, especially the upper observation point at the 102nd floor for spectacular views of the City, the ocean, the upper Palisades (in NJ) and into NJ clear to the mountains.. We can even see our Village apartment building from the ESB.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Edited: 9:31 pm, June 18, 2013
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TOTR and sunset timing

If you really want to experience the sunset and transition, I think it would be a good idea to do TOTR later.

For MOMA, if you plan to do both and the ticket price is discounted, then go for it! I can understand "I only want to see "Starry Night", but PLEASE allow more time to experience other pieces. You may fall in love with a number of them when seen "live".

The best and most memorable things in NYC are almost always the ones you happen upon, not the "checklist" things you expect to see.and schedule into your itinerary. Allow some time for discovery. Your "tight schedule" comment makes me think you may have over scheduled and might miss out.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: TOTR and sunset timing

What do you mean do TOTR later? later as in what time?

I've allotted a couple hours to see MOMA, we're not just going to run in and out to see Starry Night lol Our schedule that day is actually quite lazy and the only place we HAVE to be is at our dinner reservation at 8:45PM. I'd rather go to The Met than MOMA, so we might move some things around and do that in the morning of the 13th and then MOMA that afternoon and cut it shorter.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TOTR and sunset timing

"...I'd rather go to The Met than MOMA..."

Yes, usually, we too.

CH

Edited: 10:47 pm, June 18, 2013
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: TOTR and sunset timing

Anyone else?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TOTR and sunset timing

With TOTR you can never predict the crowds at sunset. When I went there was a 45 minute wait to even start security and elevators while others have said there was no queue at all when they went. If you are so keen on taking daylight and sunset photos I would probably get there around 7.30pm to be sure.

Is your dinner reservation nearby at 8.45pm? There is sometimes a wait to get down in the elevators from TOTR. If sunset is at 8.27pm then it won't be dark until after 8.45pm so you might miss the best part of sunset if you have to leave to get to dinner.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: TOTR and sunset timing

Actually our dinner reservation is the next day :) Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I think we will probably just plan for 7/7:30...now to decide if I purchase the tickets beforehand or not.

8. Re: TOTR and sunset timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 21, 2014