We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LGA - Times Square...Taxi or Uber?

Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
LGA - Times Square...Taxi or Uber?

Our family is heading to NYC tomorrow. We are flying into LGA and meeting my sister and her family. She has a lot more experience in the city than I do and she suggested taking a taxi to our hotel. I was planning on doing that but in signing up for Uber I have received a bunch of free credits.

Any suggestions on whether taxi or Uber would be the way to go for us? Would there be a long wait for an Uber car to get there? Anyone have experience on how much LGA to Times Square area costs with Uber? I know other airports have a flat fee, but not LGA.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
132 reviews
from $175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,098 reviews
from $199.00*
$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from $83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from $36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LGA - Times Square...Taxi or Uber?

I just had to Google Uber. Never really heard of it.

I did see this:

"it automatically bills your (points earning) credit card and gratuity is included."

You don't want to pre-pay for taxis/cabs in NY. Just get a taxi once you exit the airport.

Edited: 8:35 pm, June 17, 2013
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,864 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LGA - Times Square...Taxi or Uber?

Uber is a brand new service in NYC that dispatches all kinds of vehicles--INCLUDING Yellow cabs. It is somewhat controversial since if yellow cabs are allowed to be dispatched could it theoretically reach a point where if you don't have a smart phone to contact them it will make street hails even harder.

Anyway, there are yellow cabs in abundance at LGA. AND if you don't want a yellow cab call Dial 7. To use this new service which is basically untried or tested is, IMHO foolish.

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,208 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LGA - Times Square...Taxi or Uber?

Just pick up your bag in baggage claim and look for the sign pointing to the taxi line outside. You'll be in a cab in minutes and on your way to your hotel. It's really easy.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LGA - Times Square...Taxi or Uber?

**Uber is a brand new service in NYC that dispatches all kinds of vehicles--INCLUDING Yellow cabs.**

Ok...Now I know what it is. That's an app that I won't be d-loading....

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LGA - Times Square...Taxi or Uber?

You don't need to hail a taxi at the airport. They are lined up at the taxi stand outside the terminal. I doubt the Uber-hailed taxi would be allowed to jump the line and pick you up, or that it would be faster than a brief queue to get one that is already sitting there.

Be sure to go to the official taxi stand outside the terminal. Ignore anyone approaching you inside the terminal asking if you need a taxi.

Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LGA - Times Square...Taxi or Uber?

Thanks to all for the help!

7. Re: LGA - Times Square...Taxi or Uber?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:27 pm, October 20, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LGA - Times Square...Taxi or Uber?

took advantage on a snowy night; 5 miles $334 ripped off before the holidays watch out !!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LGA - Times Square...Taxi or Uber?

get a taxi, at least you know what it will cost you uber takes advantage of you depending on the time and weather

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,327 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LGA - Times Square...Taxi or Uber?

$334?????? Are you serious?